Cajun spiced oven baked chicken is a low cost, lean and tasty quick healthy meal. With a delicious bulgur wheat, tomato and cucumber side salad this recipe makes for an excellent mid-week dinner or lunch option!
Let’s hear it for chicken!
Take a piece of chicken and turn it into something special for lunch or dinner with this Cajun spiced oven baked chicken recipe.
1) Grind up all the spices and coat the chicken breasts in them.
2) Whilst the chicken is baking in the oven make the bulgur wheat, tomato and cucumber salad. It’s that simple.
With Christmas and New Year now behind us, and lower fat, healthier meals and fitness on the menu, this should fit the bill. It’s not too time consuming and it’s not too difficult to make.
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano or dried thyme
- Low fat cooking oil spray
- 2 boneless about 150g each, skinless chicken breasts
- Lemon juice
- 100 g bulgar wheat
- 300 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice and a little extra for garnish.
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp mint dried is fine
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- A thumb sized piece of cucumber finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to season
- Lemon wedges for decoration optional
- Pre-heat oven to 220C (fan) with a baking tray inside.
- Cut 2 pieces of aluminium foil, big enough to fold over and wrap around each chicken breast.
- Lightly spray one side of each piece of aluminium foil with the low fat cooking spray.
- Grind all of the spices in a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder until a fine powder is formed.
- Lightly spray each chicken breast with the low fat cooking spray, then sprinkle a little lemon juice over.
- Coat each chicken breast equally in the ground spices.
- Wrap each chicken breast in their individual piece of aluminium foil to make parcels.
- Place the chicken breast parcel in the oven onto the pre-heated baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked and the juices run clear.
- Place the bulgur wheat in a saucepan, pour over the hot vegetable stock and simmer, covered until all the stock is absorbed and the grains are soft. Drain any excess stock.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice and crushed garlic together to make a dressing.
- Mix the dressing into the cooked bulgur wheat along with the mint, parsley, chopped tomato and chopped cucumber and then season to taste.
- Divide and spread the warm salad equally between 2 serving plates.
- Slice the cooked chicken breast and place on top of the warm salad. Sprinkle over a little lemon juice and garnish the plates with a few lemon wedges.
The salad is best served warm.
The Nutrition Label calculation includes a portion of the salad too.
The dip showing in the picture is a simple no fat yogurt mixed with some fresh mint leaves and a dash of olive oil.
I’ve made this recipe for 2 but obviously just double up the spice quantities if you want to make it a family meal with 4 chicken breasts.
Alternatively you could half the chicken breasts, once cooked, to share amongst 4 and make a larger portion of salad.
Why I Love Oven Baked Chicken Recipes
The thing about chicken is that generally everyone likes it (obviously those that eat meat) and it’s a really lean choice of protein.
And oven baked chicken recipes are easy to compliment with rice / couscous or vegetables.
Here, this bulgur wheat salad has a really refreshing taste to it, which just compliments the chicken.
I love this dish especially as it’s one that you can have served and on the table in just over 30 minutes.
If Lynne and I are just back from the gym after an early evening workout it suits us perfectly especially because it’s one that has healthy complex carbohydrates to make us full up!
What I also love about this Cajun spiced oven baked chicken recipe is that baking it in the oven, in it’s little parcel, means that once it’s cooked it still retains all its juiciness.
In fact there’s so much I love about this recipe. But I think you go the point so I’ll stop here…….. 😉
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.