This carrot and lentil soup is simple, tasty and filling. Just a few vegetable ingredients, with some store cupboard spices transformed into a low cost, delicious, nutritious quick healthy meal.
This carrot and lentil soup is one of my all time favourites!
Extremely low in fat and calories, with plenty of vitamin A and C and a good helping of iron, plus its vegetarian and gluten free, what is there not to like about this carrot and lentil Soup?
This is one of my most eaten work packed lunches!
Add a little sour cream before serving for decadence if you like, or some no fat Greek yogurt, or just top with a few coriander leaves.
- tbsp Low Cal cooking spray or 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 190 g red split lentils
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp mild red chilli powder
- 1 L vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan, 5 times, with the low Cal cooking spray. Turn on the heat on high under the saucepan and wait until the oil bubbles, then turn down to a low heat. Or heat the olive oil
Add the diced onion and soften it, stirring continuously for about 4 – 5 minutes, then add the diced carrots adding drops of hot water if the mixture becomes dry or begins to stick and continue to stir for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, ground coriander, ground ginger, mild chilli powder and vegetable stock.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer gently for 20 –25 minutes until all the mixture is completely softened. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup has cooled a little, blitz it in a blender / food processor and return to the pan and season to taste and then serve.
You will feel it filling you up very quickly as you eat it and I would recommend a couple of slices of wholemeal bread to go with it to make sure you mop up every last drop from your bowl.
If you like this carrot and lentil soup, you might like to checkout my other soup recipes. 😀
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.