This chorizo and lentil Stew is so tasty. An all in one pot, quick healthy meal for all the family. It’s one of our favourites and we’re pretty sure it’ll be one of yours soon too.
This chorizo and lentil stew really is an amazingly tasty combination.
It’s just so filling and you’ll be amazed that this is only 274 calories per serving!
Chorizo has got to be one of the most delicious kinds of sausage you can get and it’s so versatile too!
I love that when you cook the chorizo, it releases its fat and flavours (not to mention that amazing aroma that fills your kitchen) allowing you to cook the rest of your ingredients in those juices
And that’s just what I’ve done here with my Chorizo and Lentil Stew.
I always use chorizo in moderation because it can be quite fatty and also because you don’t need much to make great flavoursome dishes.
The 120g you use here makes 8 portions of this chorizo and lentil stew and so the chorizo part equates to only 70 calories per portion.
Do you need to make 8 portions? Yes I recommend it because this dish is so tasty and you would regret not making enough!
You don’t need to eat all the portions at once, ha ha! No, they should be frozen, but I confess that I liked this so much I had it for Monday and Tuesday dinner too.
Actually it was also good that I made so much of this chorizo and lentil stew because it’s been a really busy week at work in catching up with stuff.
On Tuesday night, I made a Mary Berry Chocolate Orange Ganache cake to celebrate a colleague’s belated birthday which we shared in work on Wednesday.
So, I was able to concentrate on making that delicious cake as dinner was pre-made!?
This chorizo and lentil Stew is so tasty. An all in one pot, quick healthy meal for all the family.
- 120 g Spanish chorizo finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 red pepper seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and diced
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 300 g red split lentils
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 150 g frozen peas
- Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
- In a large casserole pot heat the chorizo to release its fat then remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon leave in the fat and juices in the pot.
- Add the onion and red pepper and sweat these in the chorizo fat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced carrots and the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, smoked paprika tomatoes and chorizo. Allow to simmer and put the lid on the casserole pot and cook for 30 minutes checking every now and then that the mixture is not drying out. If it is add sufficient water.
- Add the frozen peas 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Serve on rice with freshly chopped parsley sprinkled over.
I’m looking forward to a weekend of actually seeing Lynne, who has been away working in London all week.
We’ll be heading to the gym tomorrow early morning for another 10k run as I ramp up my training for The Great Scottish Run, and after that I’ll certainly have worked up an appetite for my lunch, with Lynne’s parents at Battlefield Rest.
Hope you all have a great weekend and I’ll be back again next week with more banter and tasty recipes!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.