Low fat banana peanut butter muffins. Delicious peanut butter with that sweet banana taste and a beautiful moist textured centre. Peanut butter and banana lovers will crave this recipe! Even more so at only 184 calories per muffin!
When I saw a large bag of ripe bananas for sale in the reduced section of my local supermarket recently, my mind immediately began to think of what exactly I could do with such a bargain?
A possible option was another banana smoothie, but then that’s already been done, hasn’t it?
And then I remembered I had this, a low fat banana peanut butter muffins recipe in my head, one I’d been thinking about for some time. Mainly due to my huge love for peanut butter!
So I put my baking head on, and after some experimentation, came up with these delicious little low fat combinations.
As usual with my baking, if I bake on a Sunday, I’ll have one myself and then I’ll take the rest into work on the Monday to share with my work colleagues, and also to gauge their opinion before I post here on the blog.
These went down really well!
These low fat banana peanut butter muffins are extremely moist in the middle, my colleagues loved that, plus it was agreed that the sweet, no fat, cream cheese topping was a perfect accompaniment to enhance the overall flavour.
Low fat banana peanut butter muffins. Delicious peanut butter with that sweet banana taste and a beautiful moist textured centre
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 75 g light brown soft unrefined cane sugar.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp reduced fat peanut butter
- 12 tsp x ½ . reduced fat peanut butter 1/2 tsp. per muffin
- 100 g fat free quark
- 1 tbsp and ½ . sifted icing sugar
- 1 tsp . lemon juice
- Lemon rind for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan) and line a 12 hole silicon muffin / fairy cake tin with paper cases.
- In a bowl sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a larger mixing bowl mix together oil, sugar, eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla extract and peanut butter until the mixture is thick.
- Add the flour mixture from the first bowl to the banana mixture and gradually fold all of the ingredients together.
- Spoon a little of the muffin mixture between the 12 paper cases. Just enough to cover the base of each of the cases.
- Add ½ tsp. peanut butter filling into the centre of the mixture in each of the 12 paper cases.
- Add the rest of the muffin mixture into each paper case.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes in the centre of an oven until risen and brown. Check the centre of one with a tooth pick to ensure it comes out clean.
- Transfer and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled mix together the ingredients for the topping and spread over the top of each of the muffins.
- Garnish with a little lemon rind.
I was surprised that I only had to make 2 batches of these low fat banana peanut butter muffins before I was got the taste and consistency right.
The first batch was pretty funny though, I’d put too much banana in and the muffins came out as complete mush. 😆
If you liked this low fat banana peanut butter recipe then why not try my other home baking recipes?
It’s always fun to try out diffent variations of the filling and topping of this version too, and I’d love to hear what combinations you might come up with! 😀
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.