It’s simple skinny tomato soup. Low in calories, carbs, fat and cost. This soup is so full of tomato flavour it could make you reluctant to go back to ever buying tinned soup ever again!
This simple skinny tomato soup is exactly what it says on the tin. Except it’s not from a tin!
OK, so you do use tins of tomatoes to make the soup but otherwise the rest of the contents (and there are few) are not from a tin they’re just basic kitchen staples.
This simple skinny tomato soup is one of our top comfort foods.
It’s packed full of antioxidants linked to slowing down the aging process.
Plus it’s cholesterol free!
Not surprising then that it’s one of our favourite soups eh? 🙂
- 1 tbsp . olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- A handful of basil leaves roughly chopped about 10g
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- ½ litre vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One or 2 chopped basil leaves for garnish
- In a large saucepan heat the olive oil, then add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and sauté until softened (about 6 minutes). Stir every now and then, you don’t want the garlic to burn.
- Add the chopped basil leaves, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock and stir everything together well.
- Bring the soup mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blitz the soup mixture with a food processor / a liquidiser or blender.
- Stir in the corn flour mixture and stirring every now and then allow the soup to simmer and thicken, roughly 5 minutes.
- Season to taste and then ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with the basil leaves.
You can use low fat calorie spray instead of the olive oil which would decrease the calories further. I like to use olive oil myself to keep the soup “authentic”.
This soup is ideal for freezing.
In Scotland at the time of me writing this we are being battered by storms and heavy snow.
You can imagine how warming and consoling a bowl of this simple skinny tomato soup is, especially with some freshly baked wholemeal bread.
And finally today as its Thursday I like to link up with Amanda at Running with Spoons here to share with you what’s going on over there!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.