This spiralized courgette spaghetti with chickpeas is not only healthy but really easy to make. A delicious, home-made rich tomato sauce combines the chickpeas together in a glorious fusion of natural flavours producing a great quick healthy meal for all the family.
Simple spiralized courgette spaghetti with chickpeas is my first spiralizer recipe. It’s definitely one I would recommend for those of us who are “spiralizer beginners”.
Yes, I got a spiralizer for Christmas! Since then I’ve been spiralizing everything in sight and Lady Lynne has been keeping well clear!
I had some spare tomato base (excluding the chilli) I’d made previously for my tomato and chickpea soup. So I thought I’d trial that as a sauce here with some practice spiralized courgette spaghetti noodles.
I added the chickpeas for protein and the home-made tomato sauce has a fantastic sweet taste. It turned out to be a combination of flavours that I just had to share!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 ripe vine tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sized courgettes (zucchini), about 350g. spiralized
- 1 tbsp. coriander, freshly chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan and saute the onion and garlic for about 3 – 4 minutes until soft. Keep stirring so as not to burn.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano and salt. Keep stirring and allow the tomatoes to simmer down to a liquid pulp for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Blitz the tomato pulp in a food processor or with a stick blender until you have a thick creamy tomato sauce.
- Add the sauce back to the pan, re-heat it until it begins to bubble, then stir in the spiralized courgette and chickpeas.
- Heat through until warm and serve garnished with the freshly chopped coriander.
As well as being low calorie, low carb and low in fat, this recipe is an excellent source of dietary fibre providing nearly half of our daily recommended amount.
Spiralized Courgette Spaghetti Thoughts
Just how clever is google nowadays?
When I was trying to decide what to call this recipe, I wanted to get “zucchini” into the title as well as “courgette” so that my recipe would appeal to the whole international community.
I mean seriously why do we have two different names for the same vegetable anyway? Couldn’t we have just decided on one?
This could be another whole debate just like the Dundee cake one couldn’t it?
Anyway, I discovered it doesn’t matter if you google for “spiralized courgette spaghetti” as it brought up everything to do with “spiralized zucchini spaghetti” and vice versa. So that was fine.
Result = hours of time saved for Neil, who otherwise would have deliberated over it for hours days.
Result = Lady Lynne saved from that grumpy Neil monster lurking about trying to work out what to call this recipe!
I’ve got some other new spiralizer recipes being trialled at the moment. So the sooner Lady Lynne can put her seal of approval on them. The sooner you’ll have them. 😉
Catch you Thursday! 🙂
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re following neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post and clicking “Subscribe” or by “following” me via your favourite social media channel below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.