This low calorie tomato and chickpea soup is a delicious and simple, comforting and soul-warming recipe. A perfect way to use up over ripe tomatoes or those ones you find reduced in your local supermarket. Either way, this is a great recipe that you’ll want to make over and over again!
So, it’s time to bring on the soups. Starting with this tasty tomato and chickpea soup! 🙂
Whilst all my American friends are diving into their pumpkin recipes (which I love) my thoughts here in Scotland, turn to soup.
I’ve moaned enough about our lack of a summer this year and I’m not a huge fan of the winter weather, the cold and damp and the grey skies.
BUT I do love our heart-warming foods. Our traditional soups and stews. And boy am I bursting to bring you those over the coming months!
I’m starting today with this easy low calorie tomato and chickpea soup recipe.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 8 ripe tomatoes, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. red chilli paste (adjust to your preference)
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 450ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and then sauté the onion and garlic for 4 – 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the chilli paste and cook for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are broken down.
- Remove the tomatoes from the heat and using either a stick blender, or a food processor blitz to thick pulp.
- Return the pulp to the pan and heat and stir in the drained chickpeas and vegetable stock.
- Cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Season to taste
- Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Soups are just such a fantastic way of sticking to our 80:20 rule.
It’s because they’re so low in calories, but yet so full of the many essential nutritional elements our bodies require.
I’m linking up with Jo’s Kitchen for the #SuperSoup September/October linky. Check out the soups there too. Thank’s Jo!
Folks, have a great weekend. As I mentioned in the previous post, Lynne and I are off to Edinburgh for a short break this weekend. I’ll be armed with my camera, and hope to bring you those highlights next Thursday. So I’ll catch you then. 😀
And as its Thursday let’s link up with Amanda at Running with Spoons and see what’s going on over there!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re following neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post and clicking “Subscribe” or by “following” me via your favourite social media channel below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.