This is a really simple, tomato and courgette soup. It’s so easy to make and very tasty. It’s nutritious, low cost and can be made in bulk to freeze too. I made this from leftovers! You’ll so want to add this to your quick healthy meals list, especially with it only being 222 calories per bowl!
As you’ve probably guessed by now I make lots of simple soups, using up leftovers and then freezing them for lunches. For this particular recipe I found I had some tinned tomatoes left over from another recipe so I threw a few things into a pot together, blitzed them and came up with this amazing tomato and courgette soup.
As it’s so quick and healthy to make, and really light on the stomach too, I now make it a lot. You’ll probably want to do the same too after tasting it. 🙂
- Low cal olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 medium sized courgettes, diced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil or parsley
- Spray the bottom of a large pot, big enough to hold at least 2 litres liquid in total, 5 times, with the low cal olive oil spray. Turn on a high heat under the pot and wait until the oil bubbles, then turn down to a low heat.
- Add the onion and soften it. Stirring frequently and adding small amounts of hot water from a kettle if the onions begin to stick.
- Add the courgettes, stir again, and once the courgettes are soft, and before they begin to brown, add the tin of chopped tomatoes. Stir together and then add the tomato puree.
- Stir the mixture together for a couple of minutes and then add the vegetable stock.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer for approximately 25 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then puree with a blender.
- Return the pureed mixture to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with basil or parsley
This is great to serve with a bread roll or fresh crusty bread for mopping up purposes.
Plus this courgette and tomato soup is so versatile. For instance, you could add other ingredients with the courgettes and tomatoes such as diced carrots to give it a different flavour or to add more bulk. Try experimenting and let me know what you came up with in the comments below! Thanks!
Check out my other lunchtime soup recipes in my recipe index for more ideas for your quick healthy options!