The ultimate veggie lasagne. Stuffed full of healthy vegetables. This veggie lasagne makes 6 portions so it’s perfect for your dinner party or even if you just feel like a filling vegetarian lasagne rather than a meat one!
The veggie lasagne recipe is THE ONLY vegetarian lasagne recipe you will ever need in your recipe collection.
Well, it’s just filled with layers of delicious, simple and basic vegetables.
Then, it’s given its Italian authenticity with melted slices of mozzarella packed between those vegetable layers.
Finally, it’s topped with a tasty Parmesan cheese crust.
And that folks, is all you need for this ultimate veggie lasagne.
If you’re making your own lasagne sheets following the recipe in my tagliatelle with home made pasta dinner option then do that first so the pasta ball can rest in the fridge whilst you prepare the lasagne veggie ingredients. Then roll out the pasta to as thin as possible before you assemble the dish.
The ultimate veggie lasagne. Stuffed full of healthy vegetables. Perfect for your dinner parties!
- 6 – 8 lasagne sheets or make your own.
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 3 medium sized courgettes sliced, about 450g
- 1 medium sized aubergine sliced, about 300g
- 14 medium sized tomatoes or approximately 1.0kg worth
- 180 g washed baby spinach
- 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 20 leaves fresh torn basil
- 2 low fat mozzarella cheese balls sliced 125g each
- 100 g freshly grated parmesan or padano vegetarian hard cheese
- Slice the courgettes and aubergine and lay them out on a flat surface. Spay one side with the low calorie cooking spray and then turn over and spray the other side.
- Use a grill or grill pan to chargrill each side of the courgettes and aubergine slices.
- Preheat oven to 180C Fan or equivalent.
- Slice the tomatoes.
- Lightly spray the inside of a large oven-proof baking dish with the low calorie cooking spray.
- Start layering the oven-proof dish first with one third of the tomato slices, then half of the torn basil leaves and half of the chopped garlic, half of the spinach, half of the courgette then the aubergine slices. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay half of the mozzarella slices on top and then half of the lasagne
- Follow the layering process again, and on the 2nd layer of lasagne layer the final third of tomato slices and sprinkle over the grated parmesan.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for approximately another 5 – 10 minutes until the parmesan is melted over and golden.
Why This Veggie Lasagne Is So Good For You!
Packed with loads of low-calorie veggies like courgettes (zucchini), aubergine, spinach and tomatoes this veggie lasagne is a not just great source of dietary fibre. But also :-
- Courgettes contain no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- Spinach not only provides energy but it’s a rich source of iron too
- Aubergines are a great source of vitamins B1 and B6 as well as potassium and the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese.
Check out all my healthy living section to find out more!
Serve your veggie lasagne with a small green salad for example the quick spinach and toasted pine nut salad in my scallops with chilli and lime recipe. Or a few slices of crusty bread, such as the wholemeal cob loaf.
Also, this veggie lasagne is completely freezable too. That is, if there is any left at the end of dishing it up! 🙂
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.