Easy Scottish Lentil Soup
Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic and classic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
- 250 g red split lentils rinsed and drained
- 2.0 L Water
- Ham bone or 2 ham stock cubes
- 2 medium sized carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small turnip (swede) peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the lentils, water and ham bone into a large saucepan. Or, if using ham stock cubes make up stock with the cubes and 2L boiling water and add to large saucepan.
Allow to simmer for 1 hour. Skim the surface of the water to remove the layer of froth if using ham bone. Remove the ham bone.
Add all the diced vegetables and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes until tender.
Season to taste & serve
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 13g | Sodium: 49mg | Potassium: 1005mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3415IU | Vitamin C: 29.9mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 5.9mg