Asian tofu salad is simple and delicious. Sesame marinated tofu with a zingy balsamic soy dressed salad makes for a fantastic and easily prepared vegan quick healthy meal. You’ll love the combination of these far eastern flavours and fresh ingredients!
Tofu. There were no tofu recipes on neilshealthymeals until now. But how better to sort that out straight away than with this taste tantalizing Asian tofu salad?
You know folks, I’m not sure why there haven’t been any tofu recipes to date. I mean it’s not something I regularly cook with, but Lady Lynne and I have had it in several recipes I’ve made, they just never made it to the blog.
Actually, I think that really it was our current vegan January activity that served as a reminder for me to publish this Asian tofu salad recipe.
Well whatever happened with those recipes, I’m sure you’re going to love this simple Asian tofu salad!
Why This Asian Tofu Salad Is SO Good For You!
When you’re eating specifically vegan you need to ensure that you’re getting plenty of vitamins and minerals and not missing out on those that you would have normally obtained if eating meat or dairy.
For instance, normally we’d be getting our main sources of protein and omega-3 from fish, eggs or dairy.
However, tofu is an excellent source of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc and contains all eight essential amino acids.
Plus, tofu is a rare source of omega-3 for vegans. So you’re getting all these essential nutrients when you’re tucking into this Asian tofu salad. Without having to eat fish, eggs or dairy.
And, I’d like to dispel that, contrary to popular belief, tofu isn’t tasteless or boring! It’s extremely versatile and easy absorbs flavours, hence the reason why I’ve used a marinade here.
Just check out the “To-fish ‘n’ chips” I recently wrote about in the lentil and kidney bean dal recipe that I had at Mono in Glasgow to see just how versatile and tasty this incredible ingredient can be!
Right, so I’ve rambled on about the health benefits of tofu now and hopefully got my point across! I’ll leave it at that. 😉
A simple Asian tofu salad and it’s made from a delicious combination of far eastern flavours and fresh salad ingredients.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 160 g tofu cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Chinese lettuce
- 75 g mange tout snow peas
- 200 g cucumber julienned
- 1 medium sized carrot peeled and julienned
- ½ red pepper thinly sliced.
- 60 g bean sprouts
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Mix the tofu and tofu marinade ingredients together in a bowl and place aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Separate the leaves from the Chinese lettuce and arrange on two plates.
- Mix the mange tout, cucumber, carrot, red pepper, bean sprouts, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice and water together in a suitable sized bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok, remove the tofu from the marinade and stir fry the tofu for approximately 8 – 10 minutes until it’s crispy coated.
- Arrange the salad ingredients on top of the Chinese lettuce, divide the cooked tofu between the two plates and serve sprinkled with the sesame seeds.
Join me on Thursday for the 4th and final installment of our recent trip of a lifetime with African Adventures Pt.4 Zanzibar Spice Tour and Final Days.
And thanks to you, as always, for taking the time to read, comment and make my recipes.
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.