Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
Folks I know you’re just going to love my easy Scottish lentil soup today.
Soups like this lentil soup are a staple here. They always have been and I stake my reputation on saying they always will be.
This is the basic lentil soup. It’s a beautifully tasting filling soup. Just the thing to warm your soul.
Feel free to add your own twist to it. Perhaps with different vegetables or some chilli flakes.
Personally I don’t think it needs anything else or any changes. After all this is something I’ve grown up with.
You can make this soup using stock cubes or you can make it using a ham hock (ham bone). Both methods I’ve included in the recipe card below.
If you can get a ham hock it’s certainly worth the effort for the richer, fuller flavour you’ll get. However, stock cubes will do a pretty decent job as well.
I know that this soup recipe takes a little longer to cook than some of my other recipes but it’s worth it I promise you.
I always remember my gran’s house in Dundee having a pot of this lentil soup on the go continiously when I was young.
Then it carried on in my mum’s house too. It still does to this day.
So I feel I have an obligation to keep this recipe going and to share it with you folks today.
Why This Scottish Lentil Soup Is Good For You
- Lentils are an excellent source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- A diet rich in pulses (lentils) is said to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Lentils are low fat and therefore make a great addition to any weight loss plan.
- Lentils help to lower cholesterol levels.
- The vegetables in this lentil soup contribute towards your recommended 5 a day.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, if you love this Scottish lentil soup recipe then you should definitely try out these other two traditional Scottish soup recipes :-
Now Thursday is 1st November. So, I thought we should celebrate that with a brand new cheesecake recipe!
It’s coffee cheesecake in 4 easy steps. You’ll not want to miss it.
Make sure you join me on Thursday!
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Easy Scottish lentil soup. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!” quote=”Easy Scottish lentil soup. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!”]
Watch the short video I made to show you how to make this delicious easy Scottish lentil soup. It shows you how easy it really is!
Easy Scottish Lentil Soup Recipe
This delicious and filling Scottish lentil soup is great at any time of the year. It makes a satisfying and filling lunch.
You could pair this lentil soup with crusty bread or make your own wholemeal bread. Perfect for dunking and wiping up the last few drops!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 250 g red split lentils rinsed and drained
- 2.0 L Water
- Ham bone or 2 ham stock cubes
- 2 medium sized carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small turnip (swede) peeled and diced
- 2 medium onions diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the lentils, water and ham bone into a large saucepan. Or, if using ham stock cubes make up stock with the cubes and 2L boiling water and add to large saucepan.
- Allow to simmer for 1 hour. Skim the surface of the water to remove the layer of froth if using ham bone. Remove the ham bone.
- Add all the diced vegetables and allow to simmer for a further 30 minutes until tender.
- Season to taste & serve