This carrot and quark quiche is such a perfect low calorie quick healthy meal to make and serve for family and friends. Maybe as a light lunch, or as a dinner option with vegetables or salad?
Whatever you choose this carrot and quark quiche is delicious to eat hot, or cold, easily transported as a work packed lunch option and can be frozen too. Plus you’ll get 8 portions from this versatile healthy recipe, giving you plenty to go round.
My carrot and quark quiche uses a wholemeal pastry crust and fat free quark soft cheese and so this means it’s much lower in fat and calories than a traditional quiche. But there’s no less taste!
This carrot and quark quiche recipe is vegetarian, a good source of protein and is low in carbs too. Nutritional information below is calculated based on one serving, 1/8 of the quiche.
This carrot and quark quiche is a perfect low calorie versatile dish to make and serve for family and friends.
- 225 g plain wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 110 g butter cut up into cubes at room temperature
- A little cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 250 g fat free quark
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large finely grated carrots
- 1 small finely sliced onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 30 g reduced fat mature cheddar cheese
- First make the pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter using the tips of your fingers until fine breadcrumbs have formed.
- Use a round bladed knife to mix the mixture to stiff dough with a little cold water.
- Wrap the dough in Clingfilm and pop in the fridge whilst you make the quiche filling.
- Preheat oven to 200C Fan. Grease a 9”/20cm quiche dish (use low fat cooking spray)
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, quark and parmesan cheese. Then fold in the grated carrots, sliced onion and chopped parsley. Season to taste.
- The pastry should only need 10 minutes to chill in the fridge so it is easier to roll out, but leave it in for longer if required.
- Roll out the pastry to a thin thickness and size that is large enough to fill the quiche dish base and sides.
- Roll the pastry round the rolling pin to make it easier to get into the quiche dish, then cut any excess pastry from around the side of the quiche dish and use that to repair any cracks or tears that might have happened in moving the pastry to the dish.
- Fork the base of the pastry a few times, and then add the quiche mixture.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and cook in the oven for approximately 30 minutes until the filling is set and the crust is lightly browned.
- Once the quiche is cooked it is easier to cut if left to cool, in its dish for 10 – 15 minutes.
A really simple salad of lettuce leaves of choice, some chopped tomato, sliced radishes and cucumber accompany this carrot and quark quiche perfectly. 🙂
Whilst soups are a main lunchtime staple for Lady Lynne and I, because they’re quick healthy meals to put together, we do also enjoy salads like this too.
If you enjoy this carrot and quark quiche recipe, why not check out my chicken Caesar salad recipe?
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.