This mung bean (moong dall) dahl is an absolutely delicious vegan curry. As a quick healthy meal it’s ready in an hour and for those watching their waistlines it comes in at only 259 calories per serving!
Indeed you may ask yourself this several times whilst staring at the recipe photographs.
Or maybe you think I’ve quite possibly gone mad?
But no, honestly there is no “what” about this mung bean (moong dall) dahl.
Because as lentil dals or dahls go, it’s absolutely delicious and very good for you.
This mung bean (moong dall) dahl is made from mung beans which have very little fat in them therefore they help to keep weight off.
Not only that they are an excellent source of dietary fibre too.
So, why don’t you give mung beans a try yourself?
If you like this mung bean (moong dall) dahl and mung beans then you might want to head on over and try my carrot ginger and mung bean soup?
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Bean Recipes You Might Also Like
- Vegan mixed bean curry is an easy 40 minute one pan healthy budget bean curry recipe. It goes perfectly with rice or naan bread!
- Lentil and kidney bean dal is a delicious vegan red kidney bean curry. It’s a perfect quick healthy meal to suit anyone looking for a really filling curry.
This mung bean (moong dall) dahl is an absolutely delicious vegan curry. As a quick healthy meal it's ready in an hour and for those watching their waistlines it comes in at only 259 calories per serving!
Mung Bean (Moong Dall) Dahl Recipe
Not only is this mung bean curry extremely healthy and low calorie but you’ll find the smell of it whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
This mung bean (moong dall) dahl is an absolutely delicious vegan curry and it comes in at only 259 calories per serving!
- 100 g mung beans Moong Dall
- 700 ml fresh cold water
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6 tbsp passata
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Pinch of asafoetida / hing
- leaves Pinch of dried fenugreek
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 medium sized chopped tomato
- Place the beans in a large saucepan with the cold water and bring the water to boiling point before turning it down to simmer. It will take about 30 minutes until the beans are softened. So meanwhile you can prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Spray the bottom of a medium sized saucepan about 5 times with the low fat cooking spray. Heat the saucepan and once the oil begins to bubble a little turn the heat down.
- Add the diced onion, stirring until softened. Then add the ginger and garlic paste and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli powder, turmeric and passata and keep stirring everything together. Move this mixture aside if the mung beans are not softened yet.
- Once the mung beans are softened and all the water has been absorbed, add in the onion mixture and stir together well over a very low heat for about a minute.
- Add the ground cumin, garam masala, asafoetida, fenugreek leaves and salt and chopped tomato. Combine these ingredients well for a couple of minutes.
- Service with some freshly prepared basmati rice (I like Tilda Wholegrain basmati rice) or with chapatti breads.