This chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake is a delicious, nice and easy family bake. The recipe also includes my French style green beans side making this a great weekday meal.
When you’re busy doing other things sometimes the last thing you want to think about is food.
Even the preparation of it, trying to keep it healthy and something substantial for your family, can prove to be a drain to say the least.
That’s where this chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake comes into play.
This chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake takes just 45 minutes to prepare then 45 minutes to cook and it serves 4.
And I’ve included an optional quick side dish of my easy French style green beans too.
The dish gives you everything you need as a main course plus for those of you counting calories it’s only 301 calories per portion (excluding the green beans).
Also it’s one of my low cost options too.
A nice, easy and delicious low cost family bake for when time is short with a French green beans side.
- 500 g waxy potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
- Low calorie cooking oil spray
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 225 g mushrooms sliced
- 170 g chicken cooked and chopped
- 25 g corn flour mixed with 3 tbsp. cold water
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 120 g frozen sweetcorn
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 450 ml hot vegetable stock
- 300 g frozen or fresh green beans
- Pre-heat oven to 200C fan.
- Cook the potato slices in boiling salted water for 5 minutes then place them in a colander to drain and cool.
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan 5 times with the low calorie cooking spray. Turn the heat under the saucepan on high initially and when the oil begins to bubble a little turn the heat down and add the onion and mushrooms. Sauté them until they are soft.
- Once the onion and mushrooms are softened add the cooked chicken, corn flour water mixture, skimmed milk and chicken stock. Stir everything together well until thickened and then season to taste.
- Add the frozen sweetcorn, bring the whole mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat and allow everything to simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the bake mixture into an ovenproof dish and top the mixture with the potato slices.
- Spray the top of the potatoes evenly with the low calorie cooking spray (about 6 – 8 sprays).
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until the potatoes are brown and crispy.
- Put 2 tbsp. of the hot vegetable stock into a saucepan along with the finely chopped garlic and turn on the heat allowing the garlic to cook a little in the hot stock for 3- 4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetable stock and then the green beans and simmer until cooked to preference.
Further “low cost” recipe options can be found simply by clicking on the “low cost” tag at the bottom of the recipe, just to let you know. 🙂
Once cooked you can freeze this chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake, no problems! Although I would suggest that it is best fresh.
Lady Lynne and I found the mushrooms became a little “squeaky” once we re-heated a couple of portions from the freezer.
However, it was still perfectly edible and pretty tasty!
I’ve had a whole load of cooking going on last week and planned for this week too. I forgot to mention that in the “what’s not cooking” weekly update from Sunday. It’s like a production line, keeping me sane whilst between jobs. But, then again when am I not cooking? Anyway I love it! 😆
Hope your week is going well, see ya Thursday!
Oh, and I’d love to hear from you if you try other vegetables with this chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake that go particularly well? Thanks!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.