Sausage pasta bake with baked beans is a quick and easy to make delicious family casserole recipe. Using lower calorie ingredients means this dish can be an aid to slimming too.
Folks, sometimes there’s nights that you just want to dive head first into a hearty pasta dish and I think you’ll want to do exactly that with this sausage pasta bake with baked beans.
I’ve made this bake as easy as possible to assemble and cook. The combined tomato sauces from the tinned tomatoes and baked beans make up a simple but tasty sauce.
It’s incredibly cheesey too but it doesn’t need a cheese sauce to top it. Just a light topping of some reduced fat grated cheddar cheese. Melted over the top in the oven.
This sausage pasta bake has bags of flavour. Plus it’s extremely filling without a load of extra calories.
You could serve this dish with some side vegetables like broccoli or peas. They both go particularly well here. I just prefer a simple green salad made up of lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
It’s best to add vegetables or salad as an accompaniment to a pasta dish like this if you’re being weight conscious. Rather than bread which contains additional carbohydrates and calories.
You’ll get 6 decent sized portions from this recipe. That makes it ideal for serving to a family of 4 with 2 portions leftover for lunch the next day or just freeze the extra portions for convenience.
It’s always good to keep that “freezer bank” stocked for times you can’t be bothered or are too busy too cook. That’s basically all I’ve been doing since we returned from our holidays – re-stocking the freezer!
I don’t think I’ll ever be accused of creating particularly difficult meals here. I’m all about quick and easy healthish meals. Ones that are as simple as possible to make whilst getting as much flavour as possible using minimal wholesome ingredients.
Pasta bakes have always been one of my most favourite dishes to create. I think I’ve created some pretty decent ones in my time too. Have you tried these popular ones?
Chicken Broccoli Stilton Pasta Bake – a delicious and simple family chicken broccoli stilton pasta bake. Relatively healthy, low cost and can be on the table in less than an hour.
Cheesy Bacon Pasta Bake with Green Beans – an equally tasty and simple recipe. A one hour dish. A terrific quick healthy meal that requires hardly any effort at all!
However if those pasta bakes or this sausage pasta bake with baked beans isn’t what your looking for, then perhaps I can interest you in my new cauliflower leek soup coming on Thursday? 🙂
Oh, and before I forget, many many thanks for all the good wishes you gave me for my 10k Great Scottish Run on Sunday. I managed to run my second fastest time :-
I beat last years time by 10 seconds! Ha ha. So close!
Questions About This Sausage Pasta Bake
- Is this pasta bake healthy? Yes it’s healthier than a standard sausage pasta bake. If you use all lower calorie healthier ingredients such as whole wheat pasta and low fat chicken sausages as I have.
- How many calories are in this pasta bake? There are 430 calories per suggested serving.
- Can you freeze sausage pasta bake? Yes you can freeze this pasta bake. Cut it into portions first before freezing.
- Can you reheat this sausage pasta bake? Yes you can easily re-heat this pasta bake in the oven or in the microwave.
- Can I make this a gluten free sausage casserole with baked beans? Yes – use a gluten free pasta.
- Can I make this sausage psata recipe vegetarian? Yes just use vegetarian sausages instead of meat sausages and you’re sorted!
For This Sausage Pasta Bake You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
It’s a great low cost but good quality baking and roasting dish.
It’s perfect for lasagne, side dishes and desserts. It’s dishwasher, freezer and oven safe too.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Sausage Pasta Bake with Baked Beans Recipe
If you’ve got kids and you’re trying to get them to eat more veggies, you could chop up and add some to this recipe before it goes in the oven to bake!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Sausage Pasta Bake with Baked Beans
- 200 g fusilli pasta
- 6 low fat chicken sausages*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 400 g tin of reduced salt baked beans in tomato sauce
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- 175 g grated low fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 175C Fan.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then add the pasta and cook as per packet instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Whilst pasta is cooking grill the sausages under a medium grill, or use a George Forman grill, once cooked lay aside to cool. Then cut the sausages in half and each half into 4 quarters.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the pepper and sauté stirring for a further 2 to 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the baked beans, chopped tomatoes, mustard, and bring to a simmer. Add the drained pasta and sausage pieces then season with some salt and black pepper. Turn the contents into an oven proof dish. Top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted on top and is golden coloured.
- Serve immediately with a mixed leaf green salad.