Winter vegetable stew is the perfect combination of healthy vegetables and lentils in a delicious tomato sauce. It’s easy to make and in just one pot too!
Folks, this winter vegetable stew is quite simply the best vegan vegetable medley you need to help fend off that winter chill!
It’s just one big rich, thick and filling stew which will give you and all of the family a proper feed.
Just like my Scottish Vegetable Stew, the feeling you will get after eating this stew is one of being completely full up and satisfied.
I just think stew is the ultimate cold weather comfort food!
This low calorie stew is not only delicious but it’s really easy to make too.
It’s a simple case of chopping up your vegetables and measuring out your spices and lentils.
The vegetables are cooked and softened for about 10 minutes.
Then after that everything else goes into the same pot it’s left to simmer away for about 40 – 45 minutes until the lentils are softenned too.
That extra 45 minutes is time for you to get on with other things or put your feet up!
After cooking it’s time for you to serve this up.
The only thing to do then is decide what to serve your winter stew with?
Lady Lynne and I love a some fluffy mashed potatoes but you could also serve it with a little basmati rice or even some crusty bread!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetable Stew Recipes You Might Also Like
- Moroccan lentil stew is a delicious heart healthy and delicately spiced vegetarian dish. This easy one pot recipe is a great quick healthy filling meal!
- Green lentil and sweet potato stew is a fantastic one pot family meal. Comforting, filling and tasty this delicious hearty stew will stick to your bones!
- Bean and tomato stew recipe is an easy, delicious one pot solution for when you need a quick healthy meal on the table yesterday. It’s vegan, high in dietary fibre and bursting flavour,
Winter Vegetable Stew Recipe
Providing plenty of healthy carbs and lots of lean protein this winter vegetable stew is a great meal!
You can easily freeze any leftovers of this stew. Just let it cool completely first. Then divide what’s left into single portions and pop them into the freezer.
Once defrosted you can easily reheat this stew in the microwave or on the stovetop!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
Winter Vegetable Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 200 g carrots sliced
- 2 leeks sliced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 2 x 400g tins tomatoes
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 100 g red lentils
- 100 g green lentils
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large saucepan pan or casserole pot.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for about 3 - 4 mins until softened.
- Then stir in the garlic, spices, carrots, leeks, peppers and cook for a further 3 - 4 minutes.
- Finally add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and lentils. Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for 40 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentil are soft.
- Serve with basmati rice or mashed potatoes. And top with a little grated cheddar cheese.