Moroccan lentil stew is a delicious heart healthy and delicately spiced vegetarian dish. This easy one pot recipe is a great quick healthy filling meal!
Hey Folks. Today I’m bringing you one of my favourite lentil recipes Moroccan lentil stew.
Those of you who follow my blog regularly will be well aware of my obsession with Moroccan spices and lentils.
So how better to celebrate the two of my healthy obsessions than to put them both together in a delicious and filling one pot family meal?
Not only is this healthy stew made up of an amazing combination of lentil enthused spices but there’s chickpeas and sweet potatoes too.
You’ll get plenty of your daily recommended fibre from those chickpeas.
As well as a good dose of protein from those lentils!
Overall there are only 428 calories in this Moroccan lentil dish.
Plus the chunks of sweet potatoes are great source of vitamins B & C.
Those vitamins help and support a healthy immune system as well as the growth, development and repair of our bodies as well.
How To Make This Moroccan Lentil Stew
- Get your largest casserole pot/pan and gently sauté the onion and garlic until its softenned.
- Stir in the spices and tomato puree and revel in the aroma it gives off! You’ll only need to stir the spices in for 30 seconds or so, or it will burn.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients, except the chickpeas and coriander. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the chickpeas. They only need warmed through for a couple of minutes.
- Scoop ladel-fulls of stew into serving bowls and garnish with the coriander. Yum!
- You can freeze this Moroccan lentil stew. If you have any leftover!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Lentil Recipes You Might Also Like
- Moroccan lentil soup is a delicious and easy red lentil vegan soup recipe. This hearty healthy soup is flavoured with the popular spices of Morocco.
- Red lentil Bolognese is a really quick and easy vegetarian alternative to meat Bolognese which tastes just amazing! Plus it’s ready on the table in only 45 minutes!
- Lentil, sweet potato and chickpea curry is a tasty vegan and gluten-free quick healthy meal. A simple blend of spices and healthy ingredients combine to create this amazing dish!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Next Thursday I’ve a delicious Mushroom Tarragon Soup recipe coming.
I know you’ll love it. Not only is it delicious, but it’s quick and easy to make too from hardly any ingredients. Its amazing the flavours you can get out of ordinary mushrooms.
Moroccan Lentil Stew Recipe
This lentil stew is really filling by itself. But if you’re wondering what to pair it with a slice of wholemeal bread to wipe the bowl after you’re finished should be all you need!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 125 g red lentils
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 400 g chickpeas drained
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large casserole pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the spices and tomato puree and allow to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the stock, potatoes, red lentils, honey and salt.
- Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until the lentils are soft and mushy and the potatoes are softened and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the chickpeas and warm them through.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with the coriander.