Bean and tomato stew. An easy delicious one pot solution for a quick healthy meal. Vegan, high in dietary fibre and bursting flavour. It’s sure to satisfy hungry tums!
Huge bowls of this comforting bean and tomato stew have been an absolute necessity here in Scotland as storm after storm has battered us since October last year.
For instance we are currently embracing the delights of Storm Henry.
The storms have actually become so consistent here that I’ve taken to wearing my full hill walking waterproof gear and boots every single day for getting to and from work.
Even when I’ve parked the car just 10 minutes away because I’d still end up drenched!
Ready in less than 45 minutes this bean and tomato stew really is a quick healthy meal. Yes I’m totally serious just 45 minutes!
It’s low cost too being made from tinned beans.
My thanks to Cirio for providing me with free samples of their delicious cannellini beans which I used in this recipe. 🙂
You folks might think I’m going a bit mad with all this bean cooking at the moment?
I mean you’ve only just had the cheesy cauliflower and white bean soup, haven’t you?
Well then sorry, there’s more. Wait until my my Mexican bean bake arrives! Ha ha!
Why This This Bean And Tomato Stew Is Good For You
There’s three kinds of beans in this bean and tomato stew each one with combined or different nutritional benefits:-
- Cannellini beans – rich in fibre, an excellent protein source, low calorie and fat free.
- Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo bean) – cholesterol reducing, low GI and again an excellent aid to weight loss.
- Kidney beans – rich in nutrients, a source of fibre rich complex carbohydrates and lean protein.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Healthy Stew Recipes You Might Also Like
- Vegan ratatouille and chickpea stew recipe is a twist on the classic traditional French Provencal stewed vegetable dish, ratatouille!
- Moroccan lentil stew is a delicious heart healthy and delicately spiced vegetarian dish. This easy one pot recipe is a great quick healthy filling meal!
- Green lentil and sweet potato stew is a fantastic budget winter warmer. Comforting, filling and tasty all at the same time!
Bean and Tomato Stew Recipe
Why not try using different types of tinned beans to make this bean and tomato stew recipe your own?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Bean and Tomato Stew
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 150 g can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 400 g can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- In a large saucepan / casserole pot heat the olive oil and then sauté the onion and carrot for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cannellini beans, chickpeas, kidney beans and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and then stir in the lemon juice, chilli powder, and Dijon mustard. Season to taste and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the beans are softened.
- Serve topped with the freshly chopped coriander.