This easy 30-minute mushroom risotto recipe is a real time saver. A perfect healthy weeknight meal that's deliciously creamy and packed full of flavour!
Folks, this 30-minute mushroom risotto is a keeper.
It's a quick and low cost risotto recipe that makes a filling and satisfying meal for a family of 4.
Easy to make, loaded with tasty mushrooms and with a little cheddar cheese added in for good measure.
You'll be making this again and again!
This second risotto recipe follows on from my first popular quick healthy tomato and basil risotto.
Have you checked that one out yet?
Risotto's have come to be one of my "go-to" recipes when I'm short on time or short of money.
I always have arborio rice and stock cubes in the cupboard. That means I can quickly whip up a risotto any night of the week!
You don't have to add the cheese if you don't want to or if you're vegan.
The mushrooms do give this risotto a really delicious rich flavouring by themselves but I find the addition of the cheese gives the dish a delicious sweetness too.
Adding the cheese will also make the risotto slightly sticky and creamy rather than loose.
If you like yours not so sticky then just add a little extra water or stock until it’s at the consistency you like.
Tips for How To Make Your 30-minute Mushroom Risotto
- Use Arborio rice for making a risotto. If you can't get that try Carnaroli rice. Carnaroli rice has a firmer texture and longer grains. I prefer Arborio but either is fine.
- A good quality stock will give you the best flavour. If you have time to make your own then great. If not use a good flavoursome one. For this recipe I used vegetable stock but you could easily substitute that with chicken stock.
- Don't boil the Arborio rice. Gently simmer it over a low heat so it absorbs the flavours slowly and do stir the rice often.
- You can try using different kinds of mushrooms. These will give you all kinds of different earthy flavours so you'll never get bored of the flavours when cooking this mushroom risotto recipe!
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
My Other Popular Risotto Recipes You Might Also Like
- Quick healthy tomato and basil risotto is a low cost easy to make recipe. This creamy vegetarian dish makes a perfect midweek meal for 4.
- Creamy salmon risotto with peas is a delicious quick and easy to make dinner for four. Using poached salmon and frozen peas it’s ready in just 30 minutes!
- Quick healthy chicken risotto recipe is a perfect easy meal made with chicken and mushrooms. It's a great way to use up any leftover chicken too!
30-Minute Mushroom Risotto Recipe
I suggest serving your 30-minute mushroom risotto with a couple of slices of garlic bread per person. This could be baking in your oven whilst you make the risotto.
Alternatively serve with a light green side salad or nothing. The risotto is extremely filling on its own!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
30-Minute Mushroom Risotto Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 350 g Arborio rice or similar
- 600 ml hot vegetable stock
- 300 g Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Freshly grated salt and pepper
- 100 g cheddar cheese grated
- Freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Some grated cheddar cheese for garnish
- In a medium sized pan gently heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over a medium heat and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add rice, stir for a further minute then add the stock. Reduce the heat to low put a lid on the pot and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the rice is just tender and the liquid absorbed. Add more hot water if required.
- Meanwhile whilst rice is cooking, in a separate large frying pan gently heat the rest of the olive oil and sauté the mushrooms and garlic for about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the sautéed mushrooms and their juices into the cooked rice then add the cheddar cheese and stir that in too.
- Serve the risotto garnished with a little extra cheddar cheese.