One pot chicken, leek and sweet potato is the perfect quick healthy weeknight dinner recipe. This delicious and easy family casserole bakes in the oven and saves on the washing up!
Folks, if you love a good old fashioned chicken stew then you’ll love this one pot chicken, leek and sweet potato recipe.
I love a good chicken stew, just like my quick healthy chicken stew but this is a chicken dish with a difference.
It’s unlike your more traditional chicken and leek stew or chicken and leek casserole which is usually made with white potatoes and includes chunky vegetables like carrots and parsnips.
Instead, here I’ve used leek and sweet potatoes to give this casserole a smooth creamy texture.
Plus the addition of the dried herb thyme, gives it a lovely fragrance.
I used chopped up chicken breasts as I prefer to eat my chicken casseroles without bones in.
Also chicken breasts (provided they are skinless) are healthier containing less calories and grams of fat than other parts of a chicken.
One pot chicken leek and sweet potato is easy to prepare and it’s all done in one pot!
Once you’ve done the first part of the cooking process you just pop it in the oven.
It’ll only need a stir every now and then until cooked. Allowing you to get on with other things!
This chicken leek casserole is very filling recipe but if you wanted to make it go further and freeze some for a future meal then you could serve it with some rice.
Just Some Of The Reasons Why This One Pot Chicken Leek And Sweet Potato Is Good For You
- Chicken meat is a very good source of phosphorus.
- Phosphorus helps to build strong bones and teeth.
- Chicken is an excellent source of protein.
- Leeks are a good source of dietary fibre.
- Compared to white potatoes, sweet potatoes contain more vitamins and minerals.
For This One Pot Chicken Casserole Recipe You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the casserole pot I use. It’s made of cast iron with a smooth enamel finish to reinforce durability and resistance.
You’ll see me using it in many of my recipes and recipe photographs.
Hygienic and easy to clean there is no absorption of colours and tastes. It’s ovenproof and suitable for all hob types.
It also comes with a lifetime guarantee. You’ll never need to buy another casserole pot after you buy this one!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other One Pot Chicken Recipes You Might Also Like
- One pot Mediterranean chicken is a delicious, fresh, quick and healthy meal all put together on the stove top. This tasty dish packed full of vegetables is only one hour away from your dinner table!
- Chicken sausage casserole recipe is a healthy low calorie one pot weeknight dinner which takes less than an hour to make. Delicious comfort food all the family will love!
- Chicken chorizo and courgette casserole is a delicious, quick and healthy budget dinner. The recipe makes up to 8 portions so there’s plenty to go round the family and there should be plenty to freeze too!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, I’ve got another simple tasty risotto recipe for you next Thursday.
Before that on Tuesday the first part of our recent 6 day hike in the beautiful English countryside. Ulverston to Coniston – The Cumbria Way.
Hope you can join me then. Have a great weekend!
One Pot Chicken Leek and Sweet Potato Recipe
You could easily add some extra veggies into the pot towards the end of the cooking of this recipe such as peas or green beans.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
One Pot Chicken Leek and Sweet Potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 650 g chicken breasts diced
- 1 leek chopped into 2cm slices
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp cornflour mixed to a paste with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 550 g sweet potato peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Pre-heat oven to 220C
- Gently heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish, add the chicken in handfuls and cook for 3 – 4 minutes until browned and no longer pink inside. Then remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and put aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the casserole dish and sauté the leek and garlic for about 2 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture then gradually pour in the stock stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add the chicken back to the casserole dish, then stir in the sweet potato cubes and dried thyme.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and bake it in the oven for 1 hour. Check every half hour or so to see if the chicken is cooked and the sweet potato is tender.