Feta and crouton salad is a deliciously simple salad bursting with Mediterranean flavours. This healthy filling salad is an excellent main course.
This feta and crouton salad is so easy to make and has a simple home made low calorie dressing to go with it.
It’s one of my favorite dinner salads to make when I’m pressed for time.
I’d say it’s kind of like a Greek salad although it doesn’t include tomatoes or cucumber but it still has that unique taste of the Mediterranean!
Uncomplicated and fresh, this feta and crouton salad is a great summer dish.
When it’s hot outside (although rare in Scotland, it does occassionally happen!) the last thing I want to do is spend time hovering over a hot stove.
That’s why this recipe is perfect as all that’s cooked are the croutons and they only take ten minutes.
If you’re lucky enough to have a garden filled with different types of fresh lettuce then this recipe would be perfect.
You could use your lettuce here instead of buying a bag of mixed lettuce leaves as I have to.
Every year I think to myself how nice it would be to grow some produce in our back garden and every year I fail to do that. LOL!
Tips When Making Your Feta and Crouton Salad
- Cut your wholemeal bread for the croutons early. Leave it to go stale before adding the olive oil and garlic.
- Use cubes of feta rather than crumbled feta. I find that crumbled feta gets lost in the dressing, when I want to taste it!
- Serve the salad immediately. It is best served fresh straight away rather than being in the fridge as it will go soft and limp.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- Chicken walnut and blue cheese salad has loads of flavour and a wonderful crunch too. It’s perfect for a really quick and easy lunch or weeknight dinner option!
- Couscous Greek salad with home-made dressing is a delicious, filling and easy to make summer salad packed with lots of healthy goodness. Made in just 20 minutes!
- Feta and lemon quinoa salad is a deliciously fresh tasting gluten free vegetarian healthy lunch option. A low cost salad which is quick and easy to prepare. With classic Mediterranean flavours, brought to life with a zingy lemon vinaigrette.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well folks that’s Lady Lynne and I just back from an amazing holiday in Hong Kong and Bali!
So to make up for the lack of posts recently I’ve two coming next week.
On Tuesday will be the the 2nd part of our Cumbria Hike that we did in May, Coniston to Langdale.
Then on Thursday a tasty tomato cheese and spinach filo tart. A great tearing and sharing recipe.
Feta and Crouton Salad Recipe
This feta crouton salad recipe also makes a brilliant accompaniment for grilled meats and chicken dishes.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Feta and Crouton Salad
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 100 g feta cheese
- One bag mixed salad leaves
- ½ small red onion sliced
- 1 tsp chives snipped
- 1 tsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Make the croutons by placing the cubed wholemeal bread into a bowl and adding the olive oil and garlic then mixing together well until all the oil is absorbed.
- Place the wholemeal cubes onto a baking tray, place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes until crispy, remove from oven.
- Cut the feta into small cubes and put into a large bowl with the mixed salad leaves and sliced onion.
- Mix the chives, basil, white wine vinegar and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Pour this dressing over the feta and salad leaves and mix together well.
- Arrange the feta salad on 2 plates and top with the croutons.