Cauliflower cheese mushroom bake is an easy to make 30-minute vegetarian family dish. It’s perfect for busy weeknights and also great as a side.
Well folks its been autumn for nearly a month now and delicious casseroles like this cauliflower cheese mushroom bake have been a welcoming site in our kitchen.
This is the ultimate comfort food for the time of year.
Sautéed onions, garlic and mushrooms combined with cauliflower in a delicious cheese sauce. Topped with more cheese; then baked. You’ll love it!
Oh and did I mention the amazing smell as it’s cooking in your kitchen……..?
As with a great deal of my recipes I get my inspiration for them from dishes we’ve experienced when eating out.
I then head back to my kitchen with the idea in my head and the taste still in my mouth.
That’s exactly what happened with this cauliflower cheese mushroom bake recipe.
Back in January we enjoyed a similar recipe at a local restaurant, whilst dining out with my brother and his family.
Of course that restaurant cauliflower cheese mushroom casserole was made with full fat ingredients.
I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Eating out and enjoying a full flavoured full fat meal is all part of the living by the 80/20 rule but in order to enjoy dishes like this at any time of the year at home I recreate them with lighter, reduced fat ingredients.
My version of this cauliflower and mushroom casserole is made with a lower fat cheese sauce and doesn’t contain any cream like the restaurant recipe did.
For This Cauliflower Cheese Mushroom Bake You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the basic pasta dish I use. As you can see it’s relatively inexpensive and its perfect for pasta bake recipes.
It’s a great low cost but good quality baking and roasting dish.
It’s perfect for lasagne, side dishes and desserts. It’s dishwasher, freezer and oven safe too.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
My Other Popular Baked Recipes You Might Also Like
- Cauliflower cheese pasta bake is made with healthy whole wheat pasta and a reduced fat cheese sauce making it a healthier option compared to normal cauliflower cheese.
- Chicken sweetcorn and mushroom bake is a delicious, nice and easy family bake. The recipe also includes my French style green beans side making this a great weekday family meal.
- Creamy chicken, leek and mushroom pasta bake is a delicious, simple and quick healthy pasta bake that all the family will enjoy.
Cauliflower Cheese Mushroom Bake Recipe
This dish is perfect to serve as a main meal, as a side or even for entertaing.
I suggest a mixed green salad to served it with. You could also serve it with some green vegetables like steamed broccoli or peas though.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Cauliflower Cheese Mushroom Bake
- 1 large cauliflower head cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 250 g white mushrooms chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 100 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the cauliflower florets, and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Then drain.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion and mushrooms for about 5 minutes over a medium heat. Once cooked stir in the garlic and cook for another minute then remove from the heat.
- Add the drained cauliflower into the large frying pan and combine well with the garlic mushrooms. Then tip the contents of the frying pan into an ovenproof dish.
- Put the milk and flour into a medium sized saucepan. Bring the mixture to the boil, then turn it down to simmer and whisk it thoroughly until you have a smooth and thickened white sauce. Then add 75g of the cheese and again whisk until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the oven proof dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place onto the middle shelf of your oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 – 30 minutes until the cheese has browned slightly and is bubbling.
- Serve with a mixed green salad of lettuce, cucumber, and spring onions.