Chorizo Bolognese with lentils is a simple 30 minute lightly spiced quick healthy lentil chorizo dinner recipe. It’s a delicious budget bolognese recipe that will easily feed a family of 4.
Folks, you know I’m a huge fan of chorizo recipes and this chorizo Bolognese with lentils recipe I’m particularly fond of. I know you’ll love it too!
One of the great things about cooking with lentils is their versatility.
Yes they’re healthy, full of fibre and cook easily. To name but a few benefits. But they also easily absorb the flavours of the liquid that they’re cooking in.
That’s exactly what happens in this chorizo Bolognese with lentils recipe.
What you end up with is lentils that taste like a meat bolognese.
A chorizo lentil Bolognese if you like.
Perfect when served over with spaghetti.
Just like a traditional spaghetti bolognese. Minus the minced beef!
This chorizo spaghetti is a perfect budget recipe.
Especially when you want the flavours of meat but not the cost.
A bag of lentils costs very little and a piece of quality chorizo sausage isn’t much more either.
Indeed I think you might find that when you add the costs up of all the ingredients in the list below, it comes to less than what it would be if beef mince were used!
How To Make Chorizo Bolognese with Lentils
- First of all the tasty chorizo sausage pieces are gently heated in the pan.
- This then releases their delicious Spanish flavours which in turn become absorbed by the lentils.
- The chorizo sausage pieces are removed from the pan once the juices have been released. To be added back in later.
- There’s no need to add any additional oil to sauté the vegetables. The chorizo oil is perfect for that.
- The lentils, stock, tomotoes, garlic and herbs are then added and allowed to gently simmer away.
- The lentils are then allowed to cook down to an al dente texture. Then the chorizo sausage pieces stirred back in and the Bolognese is ready to serve.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Chorizo Dinner Recipes For You To Try
- One pot chorizo and lamb stew is a comforting, delicious and easy to make hearty family meal. This Mediterranean style casserole is simply packed with flavour and is perfect served with rice or crusty bread.
- Chorizo and lentil Stew is so tasty. An all in one pot, quick healthy meal for all the family. It’s one of our favourites and we’re pretty sure it’ll be one of yours soon too.
- Chicken chorizo and courgette casserole is a delicious, quick and healthy budget dinner. The recipe makes up to 8 portions so there’s plenty to go round the family and there should be plenty to freeze too!
Chorizo Bolognese Recipe
Serve your chorizo bolognese with a few slices of garlic bread and a fresh green leaf salad.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Chorizo Bolognese with Lentils
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 120 g Spanish chorizo finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 75 g button mushrooms sliced
- 100 g red split lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- Pinch of mixed herbs
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 150 g whole wheat spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- In a large casserole pot or pan heat the chorizo to release its juices then remove the chorizo with a slotted spoon but leave the juices in the pot. 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrot and mushrooms and sweat these in the chorizo fat until softened for about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, vegetable stock, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, crushed garlic, chilli flakes and herbs.
- Bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Check and stir regularly in case mixture needs a little extra water. Be careful you don’t overcook the lentils. You want them to be al-dente.
- Meanwhile, whilst Bolognese is simmering cook spaghetti in boiling, salted water for 10 – 15 minutes then drain.
- Once the Bolognese is ready stir the cooked chorizo sausage pieces back in and season to taste.
- Cook spaghetti in boiling, salted water for 10 – 15 minutes, drain.
- Divide spaghetti between plates, top with the Chorizo Sausage Bolognese and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.