A simple healthier Scottish leek and potato soup. Still as deliciously creamy and smooth tasting as the original but as it’s not made with butter or cream, it’s so much more healthier!
Folks this is Scottish cookery at its very best.
Here, I’ve given a traditional Scottish soup recipe a healthy makeover. This is a healthy leek and potato soup.
More likely known to Scottish readers as “tattie and leek soup” this version of Scottish leek and potato soup has an extra twist to it. Which is completely optional.
I like to add a little bit of mustard in at the very end. Just to add a really nice warming extra heat. Which on a cold winter’s day is very welcome!
Secondly this soup is completely suitable for lactose intolerant and vegan readers alike. It’s made with no butter or cream and its gluten free too.
Watch the 1 minute recipe video to see how I make this simple Scottish soup much healthier than the traditional recipe.
I just couldn’t go back to adding butter or cream to the recipe. Not now when you can clearly taste the delicious vegetables.
I’d recommend this soup as a lunch option with a couple of slices of wholemeal bread.
This is a low calorie, low fat leek and potato soup. So having bread with a soup that only has 156 calories per serving isn’t going to add to your waistline.
The bread helps to mop up any leftovers from your bowl. Leaving nothing to waste.
And if you enjoyed this leek potato soup be sure to try my leek sweet potato and rosemary soup!
We had an absolutely brilliant time with our friends Catherine and Liam on Saturday night when I did our “curry fest”.
I’d spent the previous few weekends making batches of these curries, otherwise it would have taken me all day!
I made the chicken vindaloo one fresh on Saturday though. Just to give the house those wonderful authentic Indian smells you associate with such cooking!
I’d made vegetable pakoras for starter, and I do recommend Shashi’s Date and Tamarind sauce which I’d made to see if it would accompany the pakora’s along with my own selection of dips. It certainly did. Thank you Shashi! 😀
At this point I would have loved to have brought you a photograph.
Yes, I did take photographs, however Neil had had a couple of glasses of wine by this point and on checking the photographs ready for editing on Sunday, discovered he’d left the manual focus switch on.
That meant that the photographs were completely blurred!! Ooops…… 😳
Oh, and yes, we had pudding, this chocolate chip and vanilla bread and butter pudding, complementing the evening just nicely! 🙂
For this Scottish Leek and Potato Soup you may need…
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
I recommend this potato masher to use in this leek and potato soup recipe for mashing it up!
It’s made of high quality stainless steel and can be used for mashing potatoes and other vegetables too.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Scottish Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
- Scottish vegetable soup is packed full of healthy seasonal veggies that combine together to produce a fantastic unique flavour. This delicious bowl of goodness will hug you from your head to your toes!
And watch the short video I made to show you how to make this delicious Scottish leek and potato soup. It shows you how easy it really is!
Scottish Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
This delicious and filling Scottish leek and potato soup is great at any time of the year. A healthy and filling lunch.
And best of all, guilt free as it’s not made from any cream or butter!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Scottish Leek and Potato Soup
- Low calorie oil spray
- 440 g leeks sliced
- 440 g potatoes diced
- 1 L vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp mustard optional
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Spray the bottom of a large soup saucepan 5 times with the low calorie oil spray.
- Heat the saucepan on a high heat, then when the oil spray begins to bubble turn the heat to medium.
- Sauté the leeks for approximately 3 – 4 minutes, but do not allow them to burn.
- Add the potatoes and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Then turn off the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Using a potato masher or blender/food processor, mash / blend the soup to a required consistency.*
- Add the mustard (optional) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.