Gingerbread loaf cake is an easy and delicious home baked recipe to make. It’s soft, moist and topped with a light covering of icing. A perfect holiday bake!
Gingerbread cake is such a classic when it comes to home baked cake recipes, don’t you think folks?
I’ve got very fond memories of it always being available whenever there were school holidays and in particular at this time of year.
Also, there’s no mistaking that unique distinctive smell as it’s baking. The one that makes your whole house smell amazing!
So what I’ve got for you here is a really easy version of gingerbread cake, in loaf form. Gingerbread loaf cake!
This easy to make gingerbread loaf recipe is made with no butter.
I don’t have any issues with using butter in my baking but if I can get away with it and use healthier ingredients without ruining a great original recipe then so much the better!
So I’ve been able to substitute butter here with a little oil and some Greek yogurt.
That helps to keep the calorie count down to only 209 calories a slice. Compare that to Starbucks gingerbread which is 400 calories per slice!
In making the batter you’ll need two bowls. One to put the dry ingredients in and one for the wet ingredients.
Gently fold the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients until there are no lumps.
Then scoop the batter into the greased loaf tin and bake in your oven until the loaf has risen and smells amazing.
It’s really as easy as that.
Then enjoy this ginger loaf cake by sharing with friends and family.
If its too temping to have lying around then cut it into slices and freeze it. Take it out slice by slice when needed, like when unexpected guests arrive!
For This Gingerbread Loaf Cake Recipe You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the basic loaf tin I use. As you can see it’s relatively inexpensive and its perfect for loaf cake recipes. Plus it’s teflon coated and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Delicious Loaf Cake Recipes For You To Try
- Cherry bakewell loaf cake is an easy and delicious budget cake with all the flavours of a bakewell tart. Topped with a layer of icing sugar it’s perfect for sharing with friends.
- Lighter lemon loaf cake is such a delicious and easy cake to make. It’s based on Starbucks lemon loaf cake so if you love that but want a healthy version with less calories and fat then this is for you!
- Lemon blueberry yogurt cake is an easy healthy Greek yogurt cake recipe. Delicious, moist and fluffy. This loaf cake is just packed full of blueberry and lemony goodness!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, I hope you enjoy this delicious new home baked recipe!
I’ll be back on Thursday with a delicious new easy dinner recipe. Pesto and mozzarella stuffed baked potatoes.
Catch you then!
Gingerbread Loaf Cake Recipe
The iced topping on this ginger loaf cake is optional.
I think it gives this gingerbread loaf cake a perfect sweet finishing taste but Lady Lynne prefers it without the topping and just likes to spread a little margarine on her slice.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Gingerbread Loaf Cake
For the cake: -
- 150 g plain flour
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 100 g light brown soft sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 100 ml Greek yogurt
- 50 ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp treacle
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 1½ tbsp. vanilla extract
For the topping*: -
- 200 g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
For the cake: -
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 20cm x 12.5cm / 8” x 5” loaf tin.
- Sift all the dry ingredients the flours, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients the eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold all the ingredients together either using a spatula.
- Pour cake mixture into loaf tin and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Check the loaf has cooked by inserting a wooden skewer / cocktail stick into the centre which should come out clean if cooked then remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire baking rack.
For the topping: -
- In a measuring jug make the icing by whisking together the icing sugar and lemon juice and pour on top of the loaf spreading out evenly.
- Store in an air tight container or slice into 15 slices and freeze.