Lemon blueberry yogurt cake is an easy healthy Greek yogurt cake recipe. Delicious, moist and fluffy. This loaf cake is just packed full of blueberry and lemony goodness!
Well folks spring is finally here and what better way to celebrate than with this amazing lemon blueberry yogurt cake?
It’s no secret that lemons are one of my favorite ingredients to use in my baking and also in my desserts. Have you checked out my amazingly popular lemon crunch cheesecake recipe?
I just think there’s something so fresh from that zingy lemony taste and spring is the right time for fresh new tastes don’t you think?
But its not just the fresh lemon flavours here in this healthy yogurt cake recipe.
It’s also the burst of sweet flavour that you get from the blueberries as you sink your teeth into a slice of this delightful loaf cake!
This is a really easy cake to make. So for those of you that are looking for a really simple home baked cake recipe then this is the cake for you!
The inspiration for creating this lemon blueberry yogurt cake came to me when I saw a similar cake whilst working in Inverness last year.
I wrote about the time I was working in Inverness running a project in the Spiced Butternut Squash Bake recipe, so please check that recipe out if you want to know more details of what I was doing there!
This healthy blueberry cake recipe cake was one of those I drooled over in that cafe I mentioned visiting.
There’s also a cheesecake recipe I saw there too that’s on the list so watch out for that one in the future.
I’ll probably do that one in summer as it’s perfect for then.
How I Made This Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake Healthy
I use vegetable oil and low fat Greek yogurt as a substitute for butter in this recipe and to lighten it up as much as possible.
Each slice comes in at only 154 calories so that’s not bad when you compare it to other loaf cake recipes.
Certainly that’s probably nearly half the amount of calories you would get if you compare a slice of this to the calories contained in similar loaf cake bakes in certain well known coffee chains!
I also use as little sugar as possible here. Just enough to blend with the lemon flavour so the cake isn’t too sour.
The amount of sugar is one of the key things that coffee chains are getting a bad reputation for having in their cakes nowadays. Some of their cakes are reported to have up to 18 teaspoons of sugar in, per cake!!
It just goes to prove that home baked / home made is best because at least you know what’s in the food you’re eating. 🙂
Tips For Perfect Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- Use just one lemon for the lemon zest and get the lemon juice from a bottle rather than additional lemons as it’s cheaper!
- Use low fat Greek yogurt if you can as that’s what I’ve based the nutrition label (below) on.
- To make a simple iced lemon topping (which isn’t included in the nutritional label) use the 2 ingredient method in the Lighter Lemon Loaf Cake recipe.
- You can freeze this lemon blueberry cake. The best way to do that is to slice the cake and wrap each individual slice in cling film. Then freeze. That way you can take out individual slices as and when you need them!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Loaf Cake Recipes For You To Try
- Cherry bakewell loaf cake is an easy and delicious budget cake with all the flavours of a bakewell tart. Topped with a layer of icing sugar it’s perfect for sharing with friends
- Gingerbread loaf cake is an easy and delicious home baked recipe to make. It’s soft, moist and topped with a light covering of icing. A perfect holiday bake!
- Healthy banana and walnut loaf is the perfect accompaniment to your coffee/tea break. It’s delicious and easy to make with a superb moist texture.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Right, what’s up next week?
Well on Tuesday it’s Couscous Stuffed Peppers. I’ve been wanting to publish these for ages as they’re so easy to make.
Then on Thursday a Flu Busting Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup. Yeah, I know I may be a bit late with that recipe as ideally it would have been better positioned at the start of winter as opposed to spring but hey, you’ll be prepared for the start of next winter won’t you?
Catch you next week. Have a great weekend. 😉
Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake Recipe
Your lemon blueberry lemon cake easily slices into about 15 slices and it best stored in an air tight container for a maximum of 3 – 4 days to keep it as fresh as possible.
This is definitely a cake you’ll want to add to your healthy cake recipes folder!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe if you like it! 🙂
Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 150 ml low fat Greek yogurt
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 80 ml lemon juice
- 150 g Blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 20cm x 12.5cm / 8” x 5” loaf tin.
- Place all of the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, salt, bicarbonate of soda, caster sugar and lemon zest into a large bowl
- In a separate smaller bowl, add the wet ingredients the eggs, yogurt, and vegetable oil and lemon juice and combine.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold all of the ingredients together either using a spatula.
- In a small bowl mix the blueberries and plain flour together then fold the blueberries into the cake mixture in the larger bowl.
- Pour cake mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Check the loaf has cooked by inserting a wooden skewer / cocktail stick into the centre which should come out clean if cooked then remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire baking rack.
- In a measuring jug make the lemon topping by whisking together the icing sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over the top of the loaf.
- Slice into 15 slices and store in an air tight container.