Cherry bakewell loaf cake is an easy and delicious budget cake with all the flavours of a bakewell tart. Topped with a layer of icing sugar it’s perfect for sharing with friends.
Well folks thank goodness we’ve got January out of the way. Is it now safe to bring you this cherry bakewell loaf cake recipe?
When I say “safe”, I don’t mean that there’s anything dangerous about this cherry cake recipe. Well except that it is amazingly tasty! 😆
No, what I mean is that January’s usually that month where everyone’s on a health kick.
So now that it’s over let’s relax a little and enjoy some relatively healthy cherry cake!
Actually, I could have brought you this recipe for cherry cake in the middle of January.
They say it’s usually by then that New Year’s resolutions and those “temporary” health kicks are chucked out of the window!
But, there is of course a different way to healthy living.
If you’re reading this you know we’re all about living the 80/20 way here where there’s no need to go on a diet. No need EVER.
All you need to do is eat healthily for 80% of the time and have a regular exercise routine.
Then you can afford to indulge a little on nice things for the other 20% of the time. Like with this tasty Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake!
Yeah, yeah I know, I bang on about 80/20 all the time but it works.
I find it hard in January not to unleash a huge rant about all the diets and miracle weight loss products. The ones that suddenly appear and grab people’s attention. And unfortunately their hard earned cash too.
Sure you might experience a temporary weight loss on these diets, but it’s not sustainable is it? Would you want to spend the rest of your life on such miserable food restricting regimes?
OK I’ll stop now. I’ve said my piece. 😉
Why You’ll Love This Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake
- No butter is involved in the making of this cherry bakewell sponge cake.
- You don’t have to wait until cherries are available. It’s made with glace cherries so you can make it all year round.
- This cherry loaf cake contains all the delicious flavours of a bakewell tart. Only it’s in the form of an easy sliced loaf cake!
For This Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake Recipe You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the basic loaf tin I use. As you can see it’s relatively inexpensive and its perfect for loaf cake recipes. Plus it’s teflon coated and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake Inspiration
I’ve always loved that unique sweet almond taste of cherry bakewell tart.
My first attempt at re-creating those cherry bakewell flavours were these delicious Cherry Bakewell Muffins.
I made those at the time of the Glasgow Commonwealth Games nearly 3 years ago! (Wow have I really been writing this blog for nearly three years now?).
So today I’m sure you’re going to love this sliced cherry bakewell recipe sharing loaf cake. It’s great to share with friends as I did with my work colleagues recently who kindly gave it their seal of approval by making it vanish in literally minutes……… 😀
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
More Loaf Cake Recipes For You To Enjoy!
- Lighter lemon loaf cake is such a delicious and easy cake to make. It’s based on Starbucks lemon loaf cake so if you love that but want a healthy version with less calories and fat then this is for you!
- Gingerbread loaf cake is an easy and delicious home baked recipe to make. It’s soft, moist and topped with a light covering of icing. A perfect holiday bake!
- Lemon blueberry yogurt cake is a really easy healthy Greek yogurt cake recipe. It’s delicious, moist and fluffy. This loaf cake is just packed full of blueberry and lemony goodness!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, please join me next Thursday. I’ll be bringing you a delicious Strawberry Valentines Pancakes recipe.
A perfect recipe for serving up to your loved one on Valentines Day.
Actually you’ll be thanked for dishing it up not just on Valentines day, but on any day of the year!!
Watch the short video I made to show you how to make this cherry bakewell loaf cake. It shows you how easy it really is!
Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake Recipe
If you know someone who likes Bakewell tart, then they will just love this cherry loaf cake too. Why not make it for them?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake
For the loaf cake :-
- 250 g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g golden caster sugar
- 85 g ground almonds
- 150 g glace cherries
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 175 ml skimmed milk
For the topping :-
- 200 g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
Make the loaf cake :-
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and grease a 20cm x 12.5cm / 8” x 5” loaf tin.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients, the flour, baking powder, caster sugar, ground almonds and glace cherries into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients the eggs, oil and milk. Mix together.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold all of the ingredients together either using a spatula.
- Pour cake mixture into loaf tin and bake for 35 - 40 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Check the loaf has cooked by inserting a wooden skewer / cocktail stick into the centre which should come out clean if cooked then remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire baking rack.
Make the topping :-
- In a measuring jug make the icing by whisking together the icing sugar and water and pour on top of the loaf then decorate with flaked almonds and any spare glace cherries.
- Store in an air tight container or slice into 15 slices and freeze.