These gluten free chocolate and beetroot muffins have a deliciously moist and fluffy textured centre. They ooze with chocolate taste and are extremely simple to make.
This is another recipe where I’ve chosen to bake with gluten free ingredients.
It’s based on a beautiful and utterly delicious slice of chocolate and beetroot cake that I had a couple of years ago in the Aviemore Mountain Café.
That particular cake wasn’t gluten free but as I have many blogger friends who are through necessity, or choose to be gluten free, I decided to make these that way.
Plus I still had some gluten free flour left over from my gluten free carrot and sultana cake recipe!
The muffins are also butter free making them lower in fat and calories too.
If you haven’t tried the amazing combination of chocolate and beetroot before, these will really surprise you!
These gluten free chocolate and beetroot muffins were the first recipe where I took samples to my colleagues for feedback.
I’m always a bit nervous when seeking others opinions, especially those who I don’t know that well. I guess that’s just the perfectionist in me.
Fortunately the tasting went down pretty well.
I did, however, go back and add more Greek yogurt and an extra egg to give the recipe a fluffier and moister texture.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Gluten Free Baking Recipes You Might Also Like
- This delicious gluten free sticky toffee pudding, the classic indulgent British pudding favourite has been given a makeover to make it gluten free and with less calories too!
- Gluten free carrot and sultana cake is a delicious and easy to make recipe. A beautiful moist texture and sweet taste topped with a smooth and dreamy no fat healthier cream cheese topping!
Gluten Free Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins Recipe
You can use plain flour to make these muffins if you’re not gluten intollerant.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Gluten Free Chocolate and Beetroot Muffins
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 3 large eggs
- 120 g caster sugar
- 300 g cooked beetroot grated
- 300 ml Greek yogurt 0% fat
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g gluten free plain flour
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp baking powder heaped
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder heaped
- Pre-heat oven to 180C fan.
- Line a 12 hole silicon muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, preferably with an electric whisk or in a stand mixer, whisk together the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir in the beetroot, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Divide the muffin batter between the paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 18 – 20 mins. Check the centre of a muffin is cooked by inserting a wooden skewer which should come out clean.
- Remove from the muffin tray and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Stored in an air tight container these muffins should last up to 4 days.