Lentil, sweet potato and chickpea curry is a tasty vegan and gluten-free quick healthy meal. A simple blend of spices and healthy ingredients combine to create this amazing dish!
If like us you’re often short on time and don’t have ages to spend in the kitchen but want to enjoy a really delicious curry then this lentil sweet potato and chickpea curry is made exactly for you.
For example, as you might have read previously, Sunday dinner for us is normally a homemade curry.
Now, if we’re going out somewhere together, I’ll normally make this creamy lentil sweet potato and chickpea curry early in the morning so that we can enjoy the day together, without me panicking about what’s for dinner.
Meaning we’ll then have something to really look forward to on our return!
Plus this curry is just so quick and easy to make. All it takes is an hour and it makes enough for 4. You can freeze the other 2 portions if it’s just yourself and your partner for dinner or it’s an ideal family curry!
I’ve used basic ingredients here too. Lentils, tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and sweet potatoes aren’t going to break the bank which I’m sure you’ll also agree is always a bonus.
As I’ve said before, I’m pretty tight when it comes to meal budgeting.
That and creating a weekly menu planner for the last 5 years has helped Lady Lynne and I to eat good wholesome food and still enjoy some pretty speculator holidays and trips away.
Plus we still save a portion of what’s left over as per the 80/20 rule for money each month. I know I go on about it but it is all part of me investing to create an income so I can free up my time and do the things I love, like writing this blog.
So you see it’s not all just about creating healthy recipes and sharing them with you that I write this blog. And one day I hope to share how I managed to make myself financially free, but that one is for the future, once I’ve done it!
But anyway, back to this amazing curry recipe….
Why This Lentil Sweet Potato And Chickpea Curry Is Good For You
- 84% of your recommended daily dietary fibre requirements
- 59% of your recommended daily protein requirements
- 54% and 38% of your recommended daily vitamin A & C requirements
- 44% of your recommended daily requirements of the mineral iron
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Lentil Sweet Potato Curry Recipes You Might Also Like
- One pot chickpea and red lentil dahl is just packed with flavour. A delicious easy healthy and vegan recipe that’s great served with rice or naan breads!
- One pot sweet potato and chickpea curry is a fantastic quick healthy budget recipe to make. Delicious and full flavoured this filling vegan curry is perfect for freezing too!
- Lentil and kidney bean dal is a delicious vegan red kidney bean curry. It’s a perfect quick healthy meal to suit anyone looking for a really filling curry.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well, I hope you enjoyed this Thursday’s lentil, sweet potato and chickpea curry folks.
I’ve got two new brilliant appropriate autumnal recipes for you next week.
Tuesday is a delicious new warming tomato and chorizo soup recipe made from tinned tomatoes and flavoured with one of my favourite meaty ingredients.
Then on Thursday it’s a new seasonal Scottish vegetable stew/casserole. Both are great comforting recipes for this time of year. And as always low cost!
Until next week, have a great weekend! 🙂
Lentil Sweet Potato And Chickpea Curry Recipe
So all in all to summarise, this lentil sweet potato and chickpea curry is easy, relatively quick to make, won’t put a serious dent in your finances AND is extremely good for you!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Lentil Sweet Potato And Chickpea Curry
- Low Fat Cooking Spray
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 100 g red split lentils
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into bitesize chunks
- 400 g chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander
- Spray the bottom of a large pan with the low fat cooking spray, heat the pan and then when the oil starts to bubble add the onion and sauté for about 3 – 4 minutes, continually stirring until softened.
- Once the onion is softened stir in the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry powder for about 30 seconds.
- Then stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the oil, then turn down to simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils have softened.
- Blitz the mixture until smooth in a food processor or use a stick blender. Return to the pan, heat, bring to the boil then turn down to simmer and add the sweet potato chunks. Put the lid on and cook until softened for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through for about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve in bowls with the coriander scattered over.