Spiced butternut squash bake is packed full of flavour and makes for the perfect healthy vegan family meal. An easy to make budget recipe which tastes absolutely delicious!
Folks, as you know I’m always on the lookout for delicious recipes that I discover on my travels.
Then I attempt to recreate at home and once perfected publish here on Neil’s Healthy Meals for you.
Those recipes have to be tasty, within budget and above all reasonably quick and healthy.
This spiced butternut squash bake fits perfectly into this category!
If you’ll remember as far back as July I mentioned in the Strawberry chia overnight oats recipe I was running an IT project for the company I currently work for. Moving week to week to a different office to install new equipment.
The cafe itself was a small but welcoming place with a range of soups and salads offered on their menu outside, but it was their spiced butternut squash bake that particularly drew in my attention.
Being particularly hungry due to a very early start that day, the “lightly spiced roast butternut squash filling with chickpeas topped with mashed Scottish white potatoes on top” quickly appealed to my hungry (and grumbling) stomach!
I duly purchased a portion from the cafe, managed to drool over the cakes that they also had on display on the counter inside, and headed back to the office to enjoy a really tasty feast.
The combination of roasted spices with the butternut squash and chickpea filling were just perfect.
The filling wasn’t too spiced, nor was it under spiced. Combined with the silky smooth mash, the whole meal was heavenly. I just knew I had to give this recipe a go at home!
After several attempts to get the spice blend correct (and Lady Lynne’s encouraging feedback) I succeed in getting this recipe as near as possible (I believe) to the exquisite one I tasted in Inverness. I hope you enjoy it too.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Butternut Squash Recipes You Might Also Like
- Got a tin of chickpeas you don’t know what to do with? Left over butternut squash? Then how about chickpea and butternut squash casserole?
- Chickpea and butternut squash curry is a delicious quick healthy curry. This simple vegan curry is not only minimum fuss to make but it costs less too. It’s perfect for mid week dinners or a weekend supper!
- Easy Moroccan chicken tagine with butternut squash is a perfect, flavoursome, family meal taking just one hour to make. It’s delicious served over couscous!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
So Folks, jumping to the next recipe straight away, I think you’ll agree with me that a good budget curry recipe has been long overdue.
So I’m set to put that right on Thursday with a sensational lentil sweet potato and chickpea curry.
Hope you can join me then for that!
Spiced Butternut Squash Bake Recipe
Not only is butternut squash one of the most nutritious and healthiest vegetables you can eat, it’s also really low in calories, as the nutrition label below indicates.
And, as butternut squash is really filling too, when combined with the mashed potatoes, one portion of this recipe should be enough to fill you up. If not I recommend serving a portion with a side of green vegetables such as broccoli or kale.
I’ve made this butternut squash casserole so that it serves 6. That makes it an ideal family bake with some leftover to freeze, if it’s not all devoured in one sitting!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Spiced Butternut Squash Bake
- 650 g butternut squash peeled de-seeded and cut into bitesize chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 kg white potatoes peeled and chopped
- 400 g can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with the olive oil, cumin, coriander and cayenne and then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the butternut squash on a baking tray in a single layer and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes, until tender and lightly browned, tossing once halfway through.
- Whilst butternut squash is roasting, place the potatoes in cold water, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer for 15 – 20 minutes until softened, drain and mash.
- When the butternut squash is ready, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a casserole dish along with the chickpeas.
- Spoon the potatoes over the top of the spiced butternut squash and chickpea mixture and use a fork to level
- Place the casserole back into the oven for a further 15 – 20 minutes until the potato topping has crisped to personal preference.
- Remove, allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve.