Tomato and chorizo soup is the perfect winter warmer. Vibrant and bursting with flavour, this easy low cost rustic soup is just what you need when it’s cold outside!
Well folks, two weekends ago here in the UK we officially saw the end of summertime when we turned our clocks back an hour didn’t we? And, I don’t know about you but it’s at this time of year that I crave as much sunlight and bright colours as possible.
With the grey overcast skies, dark weather and work days seeming longer it can be a little more difficult to remain focussed without feeling just a little gloomy don’t you think?
So that’s where this fantastic new tomato and chorizo soup recipe comes in handy!
Vibrant not just in colour and flavour this low calorie soup is not only simple to make but a pleasure to eat. It’s practically a guaranteed “good mood food”.
Just because there seems to be forever grey skies at the moment doesn’t mean you can’t pretend you’re on a tropical beach with your toes in the sand. Eating this sweet and smoky flavoured soup will soon have you smiling and drifting away, dreaming of those summer days to come!
Not only that, when you eat a really great bowl of soup like this, you feel good and you know you’re being healthy too!
I find that using chorizo to flavour the soup is a fantastic way to spice up a budget soup giving it a much “meatier” flavour without busting the bank!
Also folks, I don’t know about you, but knowing that I’m saving money helps keep me motivated during these winter days too. Knowing that that money I’m saving is going towards something good in the future, like an amazing holiday helps me focus keeping our weekly grocery budget frugal!
Pre-made soup can actually be pretty expensive. I mean I know you can get really cheap canned soup options now but I wouldn’t consider them very healthy. I believe the only way for the very best soup is to make your own to ensure that you get rid of unhealthy ingredients, copious amounts of salt and you’re able to lower your food bill at the same time .
Tomato and chorizo soup is the perfect winter warmer. Vibrant and bursting with flavour, this easy low cost rustic soup is just what you need when it's cold outside.
- 50 g chorizo chopped into small 0.5cm pieces
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- ½ L vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat a large pan, large enough to hold 1.5L of liquid.
- Add the chopped chorizo pieces; stir them around the pan to release their juices. Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon once it begins to brown but before it goes crispy and set it aside.
- Add the diced onion and garlic. Stir and sweat the onion in the chorizo juices. Once the onion and garlic have softened, add the tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pan, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blitz the soup mixture with a food processor / a liquidiser or blender and return to the pan.
- Mix the corn flour with the water to form a paste and stir that in to the soup to help it thicken. Add the chorizo back to the pan.
- Simmer the soup for a further 15 minutes, stir in the basil, season to taste and serve.
Well folks, I hope you enjoy this amazing tomato and chorizo soup. As always your comments are welcomed below! And, in keeping with wholesome comforting budget recipes for this time of year, I hope you can join me on Thursday for a fantastic new Scottish vegetable stew!
Catch you then. 😉
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.