Low-cost healthy lasagne is a healthier version of the classic Italian family favourite. Easy to make and ready in under one hour this recipe makes 4 – 6 portions at only 351 calories per slice.
Now who doesn’t love lasagne?
Following on from my tuna macaroni bake recipe, on the low-cost food theme, I present to you my low-cost healthy lasagne!
An extremely versatile dish for entertaining, feeding your family and easily frozen too.
I’ve been making this exact low-cost healthy lasagne recipe for about 20 years now and it’s never failed to please.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Lasagne Variations You Might Also Like
- Easy homemade Quorn lasagne is delicious. This vegetarian Quorn mince recipe serves up to six people. Making it a great meat free meal for entertaining.
- Green lentil lasagne is a delicious meat free vegetarian lentil lasagne recipe. With a mozzarella filling which compliments the nutty flavour of the lentils. And a tasty rich melted cheese bechamel sauce topping. This lentil lasagne is amazing!
- This is the ultimate veggie lasagne! Stuffed full of healthy vegetables. This easy veggie lasagne makes 6 portions so it’s perfect recipe for your dinner party.
Low-cost Healthy Lasagne Recipe
A simple green salad will go with this low-cost healthy lasagne.
An inexpensive pre-prepared bag of lettuce leaves of your choice with some sliced quartered cucumber mixed in and 3 – 4 chopped spring onions. Nice and simple!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Low-cost Healthy Lasagne
For the cheese sauce
- 20 g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 40 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
For the Bolognese
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 200 g button mushrooms sliced
- 420 g lean minced beef
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 150 ml water
For the Lasagne
- 7 dried sheets of whole wheat lasagne
- 80 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan
First make the cheese sauce
- Put the skimmed milk in a saucepan and add the corn flour water mixture.
- Turn on the heat low and use a balloon whisk to create a white sauce.
- Gradually add the grated cheese continually whisking to make it a creamy cheese sauce.
- Place to the side.
Second make the Bolognese sauce
- Heat a large saucepan then add the minced beef, breaking it down with a wooden spatula.
- Once the minced beef has browned remove it from the pan but leave the fat in the pan.
- Add the diced onion and sliced mushrooms and sauté in the beef fat until soft.
- Add the minced beef back to the pan, and then stir in the flour, tomato puree, salt, pepper, chopped basil, tomatoes and the water.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly then bring the pan to the boil and turn down the heat to a simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Pour half of the Bolognese sauce into a shallow ovenproof dish and then top with half of the lasagne sheets. Repeat this process with the other half of sauce and lasagne sheets.
- Heat and whisk the cheese sauce just so it has a pouring consistency if it has been allowed to cool then pour it over the top of the lasagne layers and sprinkle it with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Allow to cool before serving and then serve with a green salad.