Lynne’s nachos with spicy salsa is a healthier version of the delicious Mexican sharing snack without the calorific content. Simple and made from fresh and low cost ingredients, this alternative nachos with spicy salsa is great to enjoy with friends!
On Saturday Lynne and I went to an exhibition in our home City of Glasgow, and after, we shared a nice bottle of wine together in a city centre pub before heading home.
I had planned for our Saturday night dinner to be a low fat type version of Mexican quesadillas, with a spicy salsa, but as we were both hungry that plan was soon to change!
As I like to make everything I possibly can from scratch, the tortillas for the quesadillas would have taken just over an hour, with the dough having to rest for at least that amount of time before I cooked them on my Indian Tawa (flat frying pan) which I use to make my home made naan breads.
Lynne suggested that I still make the salsa, which literally takes no more than 10 minutes. We had a bag of tortilla chips in the cupboard too, which was fortunate.
And so we spread some tortilla chips in an oven proof dish and covered them with this spicy salsa mixture and some cheese.
Then, we gently melted the cheese over the top and voila!
That’s how this Lynne’s nachos with spicy salsa came about.
You’ll notice the difference in the freshness of this alternative nachos with spicy salsa recipe compared to shop bought.
Plus by making your own version you can vary what you put in it and the overall spiciness!
Top Tips For The Best Nachos With Spicy Salsa
- Keep your toppings “light” so that you don’t make the Nachos soggy
- It’s better to make batches of this recipe than to double the ingredients to try and make larger portions if making to serve to many guests
- Serve with additional jalapeno’s if you like it really spicy
- Add canned beans if you want to make this more of a meal
- Serve with a low fat plain yogurt
- Serve and eat immediately whilst still warm and do not try to reheat (or they end up soggy! 😉 )
- 1 medium sized ripe tomato.
- ½ red pepper.
- 1 red chilli pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 inches piece of cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- 75 g low fat tortilla chips
- 75 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Chop all the spicy salsa ingredients into same size chunks (about 0.5cm) and put them into a bowl. Mix together to let the flavours and spices combine and leave to marinate for a few minutes. Longer if you have more time. Season to taste.
- Switch on grill to maximum heat
- In an oven proof dish spread out the tortilla chips
- Cover the tortilla chips with a generous layer (all if you want) of the spicy salsa.
- Sprinkle the grated reduced fat cheddar cheese on top.
- Place under the grill and melt the cheese slowly watching it to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Serve and eat immediately fresh with the cheese melted and gooey!
So it was nice to be able to chill out in front of the TV, helping ourselves to portions of these nachos with spicy salsa.
No full fat cheese, No sour cream, and no shop bought salsa. Extremely tasty, healthy and very satisfying as a Saturday night treat!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.