Mushroom tarragon soup is a simple and delicious recipe which brings out the rich flavour of the mushrooms. A creamy tasting soup without any added cream!
Folks with Spring approaching (hopefully) I thought I’d get away with one last soup recipe for now, this tasty mushroom tarragon soup!
It’s a really easy soup to make. The basic ingredients are white mushrooms, stock, flour, milk and dried tarragon.
The soup uses the flour to thicken it which gives it a gloriously creamy texture without adding any cream. That’s good news for our waistlines and for those that are calorie counting too!
The inspiration for this recipe came from seeing the blackboard menu at The Tron Theatre in Glasgow advertising mushroom tarragon soup as the daily soup.
THAT blackboard was the very same place where the inspiration for the previous years roasted parsnip and carrot soup came from too!
Lady Lynne and I go to The Tron Theatre every New Years Eve to see a pantomime. It’s a smaller theatre so their productions tend to be more “local” in nature as opposed to the larger more maintream Glasgow theatres such as The Pavilion.
This time we were seeing “Mammy Goose” on New Years Eve. It was brilliant. Just like how this soup recipe turned out. If I may say so myself! 😉
Whenever I’m creating my recipes I always try to think of what shops and ingredients you might have to hand. As well as your budget.
So I’ve used basic white mushrooms to make this mushroom tarragon soup. My thinking here is that most shops should stock basic fresh white mushrooms.
If you’ve got a store nearby where you can get other varieties of mushrooms, such as chestnut or brown mushrooms then you can also use those.
Whilst those mushrooms might be a bit more more expensive you’ll get an altogether different flavour. So you can make several different varieties of mushroom soup just by changing what types of mushroom you use!
Why this Mushroom Tarragon Soup Is Good For You!
- Each bowl of this mushroom soup contains only 117 calories.
- It’s a great low carb soup recipe if you’re on a low carb diet.
- Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants and vitamin D whilst being low in fat too.
- The health benefits of eating mushrooms range from boosting our immunse systems to treating viruses.
For this Mushroom Tarragon Soup you many need……
I used my amazing Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender to puree the soup.
Just look how smooth this blender makes the soup!
There are no bits of veg floating about in it. It’s just pure creamy natural deliciousness.
Plus folks, good news as I’m a Froothie Ambassador, the UK distributors of Optimum blenders.
If you order the Optimum Vac2 Vacuum Blender using this link, then I can offer you free postage and packing if you add my 4 digit delivery code 5276 into the comment box on ordering, or mention it if you are ordering by phone.
The delivery charge will be credited back to your card.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Coming Next Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well as I mentioned earlier folks, spring is approaching and will officially arrive here in the UK next Wednesday 20th March. Hurrah!
So in celebration of that, next Thursday I’m publishing a healthy spring stir-fry vegetables recipe. It’s a delightul medley of tasty fresh seasonal vegetables. And it’s so easy to make too.
Hope you can join me then. Have great weekend!
Mushroom Tarragon Soup Recipe
If you can get fresh tarragon then by all means use it in this recipe but dried tarragon (as I used in the recipe) is just as good. Tarragon gives a distinctive flavour to this mushroom soup recipe.
This mushroom soup can be frozen. The best way to reheat it which will prevent lumps forming is to reheat it gently in a saucepan.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Mushroom Tarragon Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- 500 g mushrooms chopped
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the corn flour then add the chopped mushrooms and stir well together with the onions and garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, then the milk and sprinkle in the tarragon. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Ladle half of the soup into a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth. Return the pureed portion back to the pot and reheat slowly on medium low heat.
- Season to taste.