These quick, healthy chickpea cakes are so easy to make. They're delicious served with a light salad and a little yogurt or garlic mayonnaise. Plus, they're low cost too!
Quick, healthy chickpea cakes are basically chickpea patties that are really simple to make.
Plus, as they're vegetarian, they're perfect if you've started off the year with the goal of eating less meat.
In fact, if you've started off the year with the goal of eating healthier, lower calorie meals you have come to the right place!
The thing is so many people think that eating healthier also means you have to spend more money buying fresh fruits and vegetables all the time, and ages preparing things in the kitchen.
These tasty chickpea cakes are made from a tin of chickpeas, an onion, breadcrumbs and some basic store cupboard spices.
That's certainly not going to break the bank.
Even the light salad I suggest, you should hopefully be able to purchase for just a couple of pounds.
You can expect to see lots more of these kinds of quick healthy budget recipes here in 2018.
Well, if you check out my How To Plan And Succeed At Your 2018 Goals post from 1st January I gave details there of my goals and plans for this year. No.6 has the specific details of why recipes like this are the way forward currently.
Let's face it folks, we're all feeling that our money isn't going quite as far as it used to aren't we?
I don't do politics here but the facts are that rail fares in the U.K. just increased by 3.4% last week and that's more than inflation or many pay rises (if you've been lucky to get one over the last few years) have been as an average!
That's just ONE example of everything going up in price!
You know cooking from scratch and meal planning has been crucial to helping both my other half and I save money, go on amazing holidays together and keeping those 7 stones off that between us we both shed when we started following the 80/20 rule for eating.
There's plenty of ways to save money, it's just not that many people I know choose to do that through cooking. No, they just choose to moan about the cost of things going up and don't do anything about it!
If only most people did cook, not only would they find more pennies in their pockets but they'd get an enormous amount of satisfaction cooking for themselves / their partners / their family.
Anyway, thank you for listening. I realise you're here reading this because you do want to cook for yourself to reap those benefits I mention above.
So, without further delay I shall now climb off my soapbox and get on with how to make these quick healthy chickpea cakes..... 😉
How To Make These Quick Healthy Chickpea Cakes
- For this super easy recipe everything (except the olive oil) goes into a blender and is blended to a consistency that's easy enough to scoop out of the blender and make into patties using your hands without the mixture being too wet.
- If you find that the mixture is too wet then mix in some more breadcrumbs to make it more firm.
- Just 20 minutes in the fridge for the patties should be enough to bind them together before they are lightly fried allowing time for you to quickly prepare the light salad and garlic mayonnaise, if you choose that to accompany.
- One tablespoon of olive oil per two chickpea cakes should be enough for you to lightly fry them on each side before serving.
- All in all this tasty quick healthy meal should be on your table ready to be devoured in just over 30 minutes!
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Chickpea Recipes You'll Love!
- These chickpea burgers are extremely easy to make, filling, high in fibre and low in fat! Everybody loves burgers, and these vegetarian burgers can be just as tasty as meat ones!
- This tasty vegan ratatouille and chickpea stew recipe is a twist on the classic traditional French Provencal stewed vegetable dish, ratatouille!
- Chickpea and sweet potato filo parcels are the ultimate quick healthy meal! With a delicious budget filling and a satisfying crunch this easy to make filo pastry recipe is just what you need as a lower fat healthier alternative to traditional pastry.
Quick Healthy Chickpea Cakes Recipe
These tasty chickpea cakes are not only great as a main course but can be a side dish too.
You could also serve these chickpea patties as a veggie burger in a bun, on a bed of iceburg lettuce topped with sliced tomatoes.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick Healthy Chickpea Cakes Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 x 410g can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 40 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Place all of the above ingredients, except the olive oil into a blender and blend until combined. Scrape down the sides of the blender to make sure.
- Scoop out the mixture and form 4 patties, place onto a lightly floured plate, cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to help them bind.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan on a high heat and when it's hot fry 2 cakes until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the other two cakes.