Ratatouille and chickpea stew recipe is a twist on the classic traditional French Provencal stewed vegetable dish, ratatouille! This delicious gluten free and vegan recipe serves up to four!
Folks, it goes without saying nowadays and I know you don’t need me to tell you, as well as the government, the media etc. but we do need to eat much more vegetables in our diet, than we currently do.
That’s where this delicious and simple vegan and gluten free ratatouille and chickpea stew comes it!
As I’ve mentioned previously, I personally favour the Mediterranean diet to help us do this, which I wrote about in my article on the myths and facts of fad diets.
Eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits is proven to be a given if you want to attempt to live as long and as healthy lives as those folks in the countries of Greece, Spain and Italy for example.
This ratatouille and chickpea stew recipe contains 78% of your recommended daily dietary fibre and a whopping 159% of your daily Vitamin C!
I made my version of ratatouille, used in this recipe, last year in the ratatouille and tuna steak recipe recipe post. It’s completely versatile and can be frozen individually itself too.
For example, if you only need to make 2 portions of this ratatouille and chickpea stew recipe, just use half of the quantities from the chickpea stew part and you could use the leftover ratatouille in my other recipe or your own.
It’s all about planning ahead!
The red casserole pot, featured here in the main photograph, features prominently in a lot of my recipe photographs doesn’t it?
Well that’s because it’s quite possibly my favourite cooking pot. I use it for just about all of my recipes.
You can check out the details of the pot I use in the equipment list in the recipe card below.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetable Stew Recipes You Might Also Like
- Chorizo and lentil Stew is an all in one pot tasty quick healthy meal for all the family. It’s one of our favourites and we’re pretty sure it’ll be one of yours soon too!
- Scottish vegetable stew is just the thing to warm you up on a chilly evening. And, it’s even better when served with thick slices of farmhouse bread!
- This vegan bean and tomato stew recipe is an easy, delicious one pot solution for when you need a quick healthy meal on the table like yesterday!
Take the classic, traditional, French Provencal stewed vegetable dish, Ratatouille, add some protein packed chickpeas, lemon juice and a lightly sautéed onion and you end up with this deliciously tasty vegetarian ratatouille and chickpea stew.
Ratatouille And Chickpea Stew Recipe
Make this ratatouille and chickpea recipe your own by adding or using up other vegetables you may have to hand!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Ratatouille and Chickpea Stew
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
For the Ratatouille:-
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 slices medium courgettes sliced moderately finely then quartered
- 2 slices aubergines sliced moderately finely then quartered
- 4 roughly chopped medium sized ripe peeled tomatoes
- 1 red pepper core removed and cut into strips
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Chickpea Stew:-
- 1 tsp olive oil
- One small onion sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400 g can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
Make the Ratatouille:-
- In a large casserole dish / saucepan heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the courgette and aubergine slices and cook with the onion and garlic stirring frequently for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and strips of pepper to the rest of the ingredients and stir frequently for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and season with salt and pepper. Go easy on the seasoning though.
- Cover pan; reduce the heat to a low setting and cook covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally to make sure the mixture does not stick.
- Once completely cooked, season to taste.
Make the Chickpea Stew:-
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan.
- Sauté the sliced onion until it is just soft, but has just a little bit of “crunch” left to it.
- Add the ratatouille, lemon juice and chickpeas.
- Combine and stir all the vegetables together well, warming thoroughly through.
- Serve on warmed plates garnished with the freshly chopped parsley.