Apple spice porridge is a deliciously simple heart-warming breakfast with a sweet apple taste and aromas of cinnamon, it’s literally a hug in a bowl. Perfect for cold winters mornings.
Today folks, I’d like to introduce you to my new breakfast best friend, apple spice porridge.
This tasty apple and cinnamon porridge is an overnight oats recipe.
It’s marinated in the fridge overnight and then can be either cooked in the microwave in the morning or on your stove top.
This makes it a great recipe, versatile and convenient for those of us on the go but still wanting to eat healthily.
So that’s the reason for it being my new breakfast best friend at the moment.
You see I’m a bit of creature of habit when it comes to my breakfast and I generally have porridge every day.
Porridge is convenient for me to heat up at my work, in the microwave and it’s especially looked forward to after I’ve been to the gym on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
Yet sometimes a guy wants a bit of a change from just plain old porridge and this grated apple porridge has given me a whole new flavour to look forward to, still with minimum effort required.
I’m pretty sure you’re just going to love this too!
By marinating the oats overnight they absorb all those lovely sweet apple juices and the cinnamon aromas too.
There’s nothing for me to do in the morning except to cook this apple porridge which literally takes minutes.
Just 3 minutes in the microwave or 4 to 5 minutes on a stove top.
The sweet apple flavours literally BURST out of this apple spice porridge on cooking and can you imagine that glorious, fragrant smell of the cinnamon as it releases its natural aromas?
With Christmas and New Year over and done with and our New Year goals planned, I thought it time to follow on from the Meal Planning For The 80/20 Food Rule post with the first recipe post for this year.
What better way to start off with than a really simple, healthy and naturally flavoured grated apple porridge breakfast?
I hope that those of you new to meal planning, or just looking to start your day in a healthier way will find this quick breakfast easily fits into your meal planning or daily schedule.
If you’re anything like me your stomach may have been a little bit stretched over the Christmas period so eating this slow releasing energy breakfast means you shouldn’t be hungry until at least lunchtime!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Apple Porridge Breakfasts For You To Try
- Baked apple and cinnamon oats is a delicious and easy 30 minute breakfast. This healthy cooked porridge oats recipe is perfect as a weekend brunch too!
- Healthy apple and pear bircher muesli is a delicious easy to make ahead breakfast. Just soak the oats overnight in the fridge for a great start to your day!
- Quinoa bircher muesli with apple and banana is a delicious and healthy breakfast that’s made the night before making your morning stress free and easy.
Apple Spice Porridge Recipe
This apple spiced porridge is a great breakfast for cold mornings.
Why not add some seeds and nuts after cooking like pumpkins seeds or chopped walnuts?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Apple Spice Porridge
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 small green apple e.g. Granny Smith, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 30 g porridge oats
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp chai seeds
- Put all of the ingredients into a bowl, mix well, cover and place in the fridge overnight.
*To Cook in Microwave: -
- Place bowl in Microwave and microwave for 3 minutes, uncovered stopping after each 1-minute interval to stir the porridge.
To Cook on Stove: -
- Transfer contents of bowl into a saucepan and gently simmer, stirring constantly for 4–5 minutes until the porridge is cooked to a creamy consistency.