Easy Moroccan chicken soup is a delicious hearty and full bodied soup made from the popular spices of Morocco. Thick and comforting this is an easy to make all in one quick healthy meal.
Hi Folks! This easy Moroccan chicken soup recipe is my first soup recipe of this year. And what a great soup recipe to start the year off with!
I think it’s particularly appropriate at this time because of all the stormy cold winter weather we are ALL experiencing at the moment.
You see for me, winter is all about hot, comforting soups.
I mean yes I know I’ve told you that I eat soup practically every lunchtime no matter what time of the year, but in winter it has to be a particularly sole warming soup to hit the spot.
A soup that makes you glow from head to toe when you experience the first spoon full.
One that makes you forget about the cold dark short stormy days outside and helps you to look forward to warmer days. So, this spiced Moroccan chicken soup fits that bill perfectly!
Its the unique combination of spices that really give this soup its bold flavour. The cumin, coriander and chilli powder just seem to compliment each other perfectly.
I’m confident this amazing soup is one you’re not going to forget!
So now, where did the idea for this easy Moroccan chicken soup recipe come from?
Did I have this soup in Morocco? Nope!
Was this soup served to me in a Moroccan style restaurant? No, not there either.
No, it was whilst working at our Dundee office last year, where I was unable to prepare and cook my own soup for lunch as I normally do.
I went out and purchased a ready made carton of Moroccan chicken soup from a well known local supermarket.
As I loved it I just knew I was going to have to try and recreate it at home.
I looked at the ingredients on the soup carton and decided the list was too long and complicated.
So I used what I thought were the essential ingredients (mainly the spices to give it its authentic smell and flavour) and the result was this, my easy Moroccan chicken soup.
I really couldn’t taste any difference at all from the original shop bought one. In fact I think it’s far more tastier!
Whilst I certainly don’t want to claim that this Moroccan chicken soup is a recipe directly from Morocco, I have researched the spices and they are. So that’s what gives it its Moroccan identity.
Oh, but I have however been lucky enough to visit Morocco though.
So I have tasted their beautifully spiced food first hand. Moroccan Tagines mainly.
They were my favourite and if you’re interested in trying some more Moroccan food in your own kitchen I seriously recommend my Moroccan Beef Tagine.
Or if you’d prefer a vegetarian option then my Spicy Moroccan Chickpea Tagine is to die for!
My other half and I visited Tangier on a day trip whilst on holiday in Gibraltar a few years ago. Plus I also visited several times when I was younger and living in Gibraltar when my dad was in the Royal Navy.
I loved Morocco and it was then that I began to get the taste for travelling. I wasn’t so adventurous with my eating habits then though, but having been back since I’ve been willing (and wanting) to try anything.
This soup reminds me of the smells and flavours as you walk through the spice market in Tangier.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Chicken Soup Recipes For You To Try
- Spicy chicken and red pepper soup is all your recommended daily intake of vitamin A and vitamin C in just one bowl! Warming, sweet and of a creamy texture this is a comforting recipe guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.
- Easy chicken soup recipe is a great quick healthy meal to put together if you don’t have the luxury of left over chicken lying about.
- Simple chicken and vegetable soup. Simple because it’s made with basic vegetables, a chicken breast and stock cubes. It’s just a really tasty and satisfying simple soup recipe. A quick healthy meal all in one!
Easy Moroccan Chicken Soup Recipe
Serve this moroccan chicken soup with some crusty wholemeal bread (because you will not want to leave a single scrap of liquid in your soup bowl!) and you’ve got the perfect all in one meal!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Easy Moroccan Chicken Soup
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 35 g dried apricots chopped
- 35 g dried pitted dates
- 400 g cooked shredded chicken breasts.
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas with liquid
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- In a large pan gently heat the olive oil then add the diced onion and sauté until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken stock, apricots and dates bring to a boil, reduce heat and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the cooked chicken, spices and the chickpeas (with liquid) and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with the coriander