These quick healthy fish cakes are really easy to make and delicious too. At only 128 calories each, this healthy fish cakes recipe makes 8 fishcakes packed full of flavour.
These quick healthy fish cakes are not only healthy but easy on your cash too!
Just like my fish puffs this quick healthy fish cakes recipe proves that you can make delicious fish based meals without the need to spend loads of money on the most expensive and popular fish like haddock or cod.
Go for the less expensive lesser known white fish like River Cobbler or Coley. I promise you that you won’t notice any difference in taste and these kinds of fish are likely to be more sustainable too, so you’ll be doing the environment a favour as well!
Homemade fish cakes are a great way of making a little fish go a long way and also encouraging children to eat fish when they may not be keen. Plus, by making your own, you know exactly what goes into them, unlike those shop bought processed ones!
I’ve told you the story before in the baked cod with caper mash recipe about the fish van coming to my gran’s every Friday and her purchasing fish for our Saturday lunch when we visited.
I clearly remember that if I was staying with my Gran on a Friday too and was allowed to go down the street with her to meet the fish van I saw all these strange looking potato cake things covered in tons of ruskelene. I wondered what they were……
It wasn’t until later in life that I realised they were fish cakes and I tried some shop bought ones. I could only taste potato and couldn’t find or taste any fish.
Fast-forward and I made this, my own healthy easy fish cakes recipe.
Simple, delicious and very cost effective too. Perfect for a thrifty Scottish lad like myself!
It was from then on that I made my own fish cakes, to the specifications of this recipe that I’ve published for you today.
I can’t remember the last time I had shop bought ones. Whenever I have fish to use up I’ll use them up with this recipe and stick them in the freezer bank. 🙂
I’m pretty sure that you too will want to add this healthy quick recipe to your recipe file.
Cooking Tips For Your Quick Healthy Fish Cakes
- You only need to shallow fry these beauties in the smallest amount of vegetable oil. This helps to keep the fat content to a very minimum and means you’re actually tasting the fish cakes themselves and not the oil.
- Only use a couple of teaspoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan over a very low heat to gently cook the first batch of 4 fish cakes.
- Then change the oil and use the other 2 teaspoons for the final 4 fishcakes which means the oil is fresh for each batch helping to give the breadcrumbs their fantastic golden colour.
- To re-cook from frozen they only need 12 – 15 minutes in an oven at 180C.
For these Quick Healthy Fish Cakes you may need…
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
I use my Jamie Oliver Small Platter White dish here in this recipe for serving and in many of my other recipes too.
If you love these healthy fish cakes then I just know you’ll love my smoked haddock fishcakes with poached egg and mustard sauce recipe.
They make for a fantastic tasty weekend supper!
From Quick Healthy Fish Cakes to Oktoberfest 2017
I totally forgot that I was going to Oktoberfest when I wrote at the end of the Broadmeadows house weekend post that I didn’t have any other trips planned. Well this is definitely the last one for a while. It’s been a busy September!
Every 5 years my pals and I go to Oktoberfest to join in the amazing spectacle that it is and indulge in a few steins. Here’s some of the boys and yours truly from 5 years ago, Oktoberfest 2012 (that wee lad wanted to be in the photograph, and we just couldn’t refuse!). 😉
So, cheers (or rather PROST ! ) in advance folks and I’ll catch you next Thursday for an amazing vegan Green Lentil Shepherd’s Pie!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Watch the short video I made to show you how to make these delicious easy Quick Healthy Fish Cakes. It shows you how easy it really is!
Quick Healthy Fish Cakes Recipe
Here I’ve served my healthy fish cakes with a light side salad of iceberg lettuce, chopped tomatoes and a lemon slice to give them an added “zing”. You could also serve them with some basic vegetables like peas and sweetcorn.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe if you like it! 🙂
Quick Healthy Fish Cakes
- 450 g potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 250 g white fish such as river cobbler or coley
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plain flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 80 g breadcrumbs*
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 15 – 20 minutes until tender, drain and mash them.
- Place the fish in a shallow pan, cover with water, season with a little salt and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until the fish is tender, then drain the water away and flake the fish with a fork.
- Mix the flaked fish with the mashed potato, lemon and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Flour a work surface and using your hands form the mixture into 8 patties
- Dip the patties into the beaten egg, ensuring they are completely covered and then dip into the breadcrumbs.
- Fry the fish cakes in the oil in a non-stick frying pan for 3-4 mins on each side until crisp and golden. This takes about 20 minutes in total.
- Serve with the lemon wedges and a crisp iceberg lettuce salad with tomatoes.