Baked cod with caper mash is a tasty easy quick healthy meal. A delicious tomato basil sauce covers the baked fish and it’s served with a healthy low carb caper mash!
I remade this baked cod with caper mash recipe in June 2016 when Cirio contacted me offering me some free samples of their tinned tomatoes.
I received no financial incentive for recreating this dish, it is still made to the original recipe I published in April 2014.
I’m delighted that Cirio also shared my baked cod with caper mash recipe to their followers on their Cirio UK Facebook page.
Plus the delicious caper mash helps to fill you up too.
This is a really simple to make baked cod recipe.
It’s delicious and perfect to make when you really don’t want to do much prep. And just need something you can quickly cook in the oven.
In our household this baked fish recipe is the perfect end to a hectic week at work.
And if it’s the end of the week, then I reckon it’s pretty much obligatory to have a nice glass of white wine with it, don’t you?
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Baked Fish Recipes You Might Also Like
- Oven baked fish puffs make for a delicious quick healthy budget meal. Easy to make and healthier than fried they’re really good fun for kids to make too!
- Oven baked salmon with cream cheese and oat bran crust recipe makes for a super simple, delicious and protein packed, quick healthy meal that I know you’re just going to love.
- Easy healthy fish pie makes for an excellent weekday family dinner for 4 and can be on the table in just one hour. It’s packed full of protein and each tasty serving comes in at less than 400 calories!
Baked Cod With Caper Mash Recipe
Cooking fish doesn’t have to be difficult. It’s easy to put together a quick sauce for your fish and then bake it in the oven, like this baked cod recipe and then serve it with some mash made whilst the fish is baking.
If you’re looking for an excellent side to go with your baked cod why not try my roast summer vegetables?
You can roast the vegetables at the same time as the fish bakes!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Baked Cod with Caper Mash
- 2 cod fillets
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- leaves A good handful of torn basil
- 1/2 clove garlic crushed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Low fat cooking spray
- 200 g cauliflower florets
- 200 g white potatoes peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp green capers from a jar; drained and chopped up roughly
- Pre-Heat the oven to 180C
- Empty the tin of chopped tomatoes into a small sauce pan, add the torn basil leaves and crushed garlic, then simmer gently for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool a little and then blitz into a sauce in a food processor or using a stick blender. Return to the sauce pan and season to taste.
- Spray the cod fillets a couple of times on each side with the low fat cooking spray and place in a shallow oven baking dish. Pour the tomato basil sauce over the fish.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and place in the oven, middle shelf and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until the fish is cooked.
- Whilst the fish is cooking place the cauliflower florets and the white potatoes in a sauce pan of cold water, bring to the boil and boil for 10 – 12 minutes. Once the vegetables are soft, drain them, return them to the saucepan, and mash them together with a potato masher.
- Add the chopped up green capers and mix all together.
- Taste the mash. Generally there is not a need to season because the salt from the capers should be enough, however some pepper might be added to taste.
- Serve the cooked fish on a bed of the caper mash with some of the tomato basil sauce spooned over. Peas are also a good accompaniment too.