Red lentil lasagne is a delicious easy and satisfying vegetarian pasta dish that the whole family, including meat eaters, are sure to enjoy!
I’ve made this vegetarian lentil lasagne quite a few times now and it definitely seems to be a winner!
Not only is it comforting and filling, but it’s simple to make too. Full of flavour this recipe is perfect for feeding a family of 4.
I used red lentils in this meat free lasagne recipem but if you only have green ones then be sure to check out my green lentil lasagne recipe!
This lasagne is definitely low cost. In fact one of the most cost effective lasagne dinners you can probably make!
Red lentils are cheap and such a convenient ingredient as they dont need pre-soaking or pre-cooking.
You’ll also find this a healthy lasagne too.
It’s not just lentils, this lasagne is also packed with vegetables.
Theres onion, carrot, mushrooms and tomatoes too. All hidden in the rich lentil ragu sauce. Which is perfect if you’re trying to get your kids to eat more veggies!
I’ve used my reduced fat cheese sauce recipe here which means if you’re calorie counting then this dish is definitely for you!
You can easily freeze any lasagne that’s leftover. I suggest letting the dish cool fully first before cutting the leftovers up and portioning them into individual containers to freeze.
The lasagne can easily be reheated (once defrosted) in your microwave.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetarian Lasagne Recipes For You To Try
- Veggie lasagne. Stuffed full of healthy vegetables. This easy veggie lasagne makes 6 portions so it’s perfect recipe for your dinner party.
- Easy homemade Quorn lasagne is delicious. This vegetarian Quorn mince recipe serves up to six people. Making it a great meat free meal for entertaining.
Red Lentil Lasagne Recipe
If you want to make this lentil lasagne go further and serve 6 then you could serve it with some garlic bread as well as the side salad I’ve suggested in the recipe notes!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Red Lentil Lasagne
For the Bolognese: -
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 75 g button mushrooms sliced
- 100 g red split lentils
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 800 g 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- Pinch of mixed herbs
- Freshly ground salt and pepper.
For the cheese sauce: -
- 20 g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 40 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
For the Lasagne: -
- 7 dried sheets of whole wheat lasagne
- 80 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
First make the Bolognese sauce: -
- Heat oil gently and sauté onion, carrot and mushrooms for approximately 4 – 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, vegetable stock, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, crushed garlic and herbs.
- Bring to a simmer for 25 - 30 minutes to an hour. Check and stir regularly in case mixture needs a little extra water. Be careful you don’t overcook the lentils. You want them to be al-dente. Season to taste.
- Whilst sauce is simmering make the cheese sauce.
Second make the cheese sauce: -
- Put the skimmed milk in a saucepan and add the corn flour water mixture.
- Turn on the heat low and whisk using a balloon whisk until beginning to thicken to create a white sauce.
- Gradually add the grated cheese, continually whisking to make it a creamy cheese sauce.
- Place to the side.
Third assemble the lasagne: -
- Pre heat oven to 180c
- Pour half of the Bolognese sauce into a shallow ovenproof dish and then top with half of the lasagne sheets. Repeat this process with the other half of sauce and lasagne sheets.
- Re-heat and whisk the cheese sauce just so it has a pouring consistency if it has been allowed to cool then pour it over the top of the lasagne layers and sprinkle it with the grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 mins