Roasted parsnip and carrot soup is a delicious blend of vegetables which combine to produce an amazingly easy tasty creamy and gluten free vegan soup!
Folks, today I bring to you my first published recipe featuring the humble parsnip.
I’m sorry that this is the first recipe in over 4 years of being online that I’ve featured a parsnip.
It’s not been deliberate. It’s just that I felt I needed to bring you a parsnip recipe that would beat hands down all the other recipes out there that use parsnips!
I’m convinced that this delicious roasted parsnip and carrot soup does exactly that!
Often confused with turnips, parsnips are also often overlooked as far as root veggies go. Yet they have an amazingly sweet and unique earthy flavour which can bring a whole lot of new ideas and inspiration to your dinner table.
Why not try this parsnip and carrot soup recipe and then see where your parsnip inspiration takes you next?
Easy to make and healthy this simple parsnip soup is a fantastic winter warmer!
The inspiration for this recipe came about from a visit at Christmas to The Tron Theatre in Glasgow.
Where Lady Lynne and I went to see the spoof pantomime “Alice in Weegieland” (a spin off of Alice in Wonderland, full of Glasgow humour). The show was amazing and very funny!
Prior to going into the auditorium to take our seats I noticed that their cafe bar had a roasted parsnip and carrot soup on their daily board of lunch”specials”.
Having had lunch elsewhere prior to the afternoon show I noted that soup down as a “must try” having never heard of it before.
That’s what you’ve got here today folks, and I seriously recommend you make it!
I used my amazing Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender to puree the soup.
Just look how smooth this blender makes soup! There are no bits of veg floating about in it. It’s just pure creamy deliciousness.
Plus folks, good news as I’m a Froothie Ambassador, the UK distributors of Optimum blenders, if you order the Optimum Vac2 Vacuum Blender using this link, then I can offer you free postage and packing if you add my 4 digit delivery code 5276 into the comment box on ordering, or mention it if you are ordering by phone.
The delivery charge will be credited back to your card.
Here’s just a few more reasons why I think you’ll totally love this soup!
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Parsnip and Carrot Soup
- The cost of this soup is amazingly low. I can get 4 portions of this delicious soup for just a couple of pounds!
- Roasting the vegetables, instead of boiling them brings out a unique sweet and slightly smoky flavour.
- There’s less nutrient loss when the vegetables are roasted as opposed to being boiled.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Creamy parsnip soup is a delicious and easy to make cheesy tasting bowl of hearty goodness. This comforting recipe is perfect for cold winter days!
- Butter free, this sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup is ideal for vegans or just soup lovers alike. Filling and giving you more than your daily recommended amount of vitamin A, its just full of delicious flavours from naturally sweet ingredients.
- A simple healthier Scottish leek and potato soup. Still as deliciously creamy and smooth tasting as the original but as it’s not made with butter or cream, it’s so much more healthier!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Thanks as always folks for keeping up with me and clicking on my recipes!
We’ll be back to our usual two new recipe posts on Tuesday and Thursday next next week.
There was just one new recipe this week, today, as last weekend my family all got together to celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of my parents.
Yes I know, I look like my Dad, lol!
Coming on Tuesday is another of my classic family bakes, a Rigatoni with Broccoli and Parmesan veggie one.
Then on Thursday a new Pizza recipe made with a Quorn topping! Don’t miss either of these recipes by making sure you’ve subscribed to my email list (details above).
Have a great weekend Folks, catch you next Tuesday! 😀
Roasted Parsnip and Carrot Soup Recipe
You could of course make this parsnip and carrot soup without roasting the vegetables and just boil them all up in the stock, with the garlic and then puree it.
But I so recommend roasting the vegetables to get that unique slightly sweet and earthy flavour!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe if you like it! 🙂
Roasted Parsnip and Carrot Soup
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 500 g parsnips peeled and chopped
- 500 g carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves with the skin left on
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp ground coriander powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp coriander freshly chopped
- Preheat oven to 190C (Fan)
- Place the chopped onion, parsnip, carrots and garlic into a large baking tray.
- Add the olive oil, coriander powder and freshly ground salt and pepper. Mix and combine well with all the vegetables in the tray and place in the oven.
- Roast the vegetables for about 35 - 40 minutes but make sure you stir them every 10 to 15 minutes or so to prevent them from burning.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove the roasted garlic cloves and squeeze the soft cloves out of their skins and add back to the roasted vegetables, then discard the skins.
- Add the vegetables to a large soup pot and scrape the tray to get all the goodness from the vegetable tray into the pot.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender in batches.
- Serve garnished with the coriander.