Butter free, this sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup is ideal for vegans or just soup lovers alike. Filling and giving you more than your daily recommended amount of vitamin A, its just full of delicious flavours from naturally sweet ingredients.
Where Did the Idea For This Sweet Potato Garlic and Chilli Soup Come From?
I get ideas for my recipes, often from places I’ve visited and sampled their food.
For the inspiration of this sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup we went for a walk at the UK’s largest windfarm, located to the south of Glasgow on Eaglesham Moor, Whitelee Windfarm.
We walked about 3 miles in total around some of the farm looking forward to a coffee and a bowl of soup at the end. Unfortunately the visitor centre and café were closed due to some kind of technical issue.
Still, at least we got our walk before the rain came on again!
On driving a bit further over Eaglesham Moor, we found a sign for a Garden Centre, followed it and ended up at the Calders Braidbar Garden Centre, which was advertising an award winning restaurant.
I had their version of this sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup and it was really tasty! I could taste the butter in it, but that’s fine because I count that as eating out and one of my 20% opportunities to indulge! I know exactly what is in the other 80% because I’m usually cooking it!
Anyway, this is my butter free tasty sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup recipe. This like many of my other recipes can be made cheaply and frozen too providing a nutritious, delicious lunch option at home and at work!
Why Is This Sweet Potato Garlic And Chilli Soup Good For You?
So, what’s my reasons for favouring sweet potatoes for my recipes as opposed to normal white potatoes?
Well, I read that if you’re considering potatoes as a healthy food option, current research favours sweet potatoes because that they have a lower calorie rating, slightly less carbohydrates and more fibre.
From a GI rating perspective boiled sweet potatoes have a GI of about 46 whilst normal boiled potatoes are about 82.
In summary sweet potatoes have a lower sugar release meaning that they are converted to glucose slower compared to normal potatoes keeping blood sugar levels from spiking. So. that’s my reasons for favouring them anyway. 🙂
Either way, I still think you’ll agree this is an amazingly tasty sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup!
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 Kg Peeled chopped sweet potatoes
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Thin slivers of red chilli for garnish
- Spray bottom of a large saucepan 5 times with the low calorie cooking spray, turn the heat on high initially until the oil bubbles then turn the heat down to low. You could use 1 tsp. Olive Oil instead.
- Add the diced onion and the garlic stir for 3 – 4 minutes until soft.
- Add the chilli and continue stirring for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and continue stirring for about a minute.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 30 – 45 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Blend in a food processor or blender then return to the pan and season to taste.
- Serve garnished with parsley an thin slivers of red chilli
If you enjoyed this be sure to try out my equally delicious and popular carrot and sweet potato soup!
And, in order not to miss future great soups like this and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals!
Add your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here.
Follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.