This leek sweet potato rosemary soup is addictive. The combination of flavours marinates together perfectly creating such a delicious creamy comfort soup. Not only that, it’s really simple and quick to make too, in less than one hour!
I’ll say it again. This leek sweet potato rosemary soup is addictive!
You know me folks, I’m always jotting down recipe ideas from places that we’ve been to or great foods that we’ve tried. That’s where a lot of my recipes and/or inspiration to create them comes from.
I first had leek sweet potato rosemary soup when we were away on our holiday trip in Glencoe last year. Ah, such great memories!
You see, this was one of the delicious lunch soups on offer at the Glencoe café that I had whilst we were there. I jotted it down then. It’s just that it’s taken me a year to get round to recreating it.
It’s hard to describe the delicious aromas that permeate your kitchen when you make this leek, sweet potato rosemary soup. Especially the part where you add the rosemary. I highly recommend you try it for yourself, even if just to experience those wonderful smells!
So today this leek sweet potato rosemary soup becomes one of our favourite soup recipes that we’d like to share with you. I really think you’ll enjoy this, especially its simplicity. I’m only sorry it’s taken so long to get it to you!
You know, I’d never even heard of or seen a sweet potato until about seven years ago!
I was brought up on ordinary white potatoes. They were the only kind available here in Scotland. Plus, conveniently we lived near to a farmer family who we were friendly with, where we could buy huge sacks of white potatoes at a low cost!
Nowadays I couldn’t see myself living without having sweet potatoes at least once a week in some shape or form.
It’s funny how things change isn’t it? I mean all sweet potatoes used to be imported from the U.S. and Africa, but now they’re being grown in the U.K. for the first time too. Particularly because of their popularity.
There’s also the added nutritional benefits. For example, sweet potatoes have a lower GI rating and are lower in calories too than the traditional white potato.
I couldn’t, and wouldn’t give up ordinary white potatoes though. I mean Scottish leek and potato soup is still an absolute staple!
But, there is just something particularly addictive about that creamy sweet consistency you get from sweet potatoes, don’t you think?
You’ll see what I mean when spoonful’s of this leek sweet potato and rosemary soup start slipping down your throat. I need to warn you again though, this soup is addictive! 🙂
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 2 leeks finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 sweet potatoes peel and chopped (approx. 1kg)
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 Litre chicken stock
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- A sprinkling of rosemary for garnish
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan about 5 times with the cooking spray. Turn the heat on high and when the oil begins to bubble turn the heat down to a medium temperature.
- Sauté the leeks and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly to ensure they do not burn.
- Add the chopped potatoes and rosemary and stir around the pan for a minutes or so.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for approximately 20 – 25 minutes until soft.
- Puree the soup to a thick consistency either in a food processor or with a stick blender.
- Return to the pan and season to taste.
- Serve with just a sprinkling of rosemary on top for garnish.
This soup is perfect for freezing.
And so I’ll say it one final time! 😀
This leek sweet potato rosemary soup is addictive!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re following neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post and clicking “Subscribe” or by “following” me via your favourite social media channel below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.