Healthy paneer jalfrezi is the classic Indian curry recipe made healthier and vegetarian using paneer cheese instead of meat. It’s packed with flavour!
I suppose I could be (and probably will be 🙄 ) criticised in that a classic jalfrezi should have some kind of marinated meat, then usually the meat is stir fried, with onions, peppers and green chillies.
But as I said, this is my take, I wanted to make it a vegetarian curry, and in my defence it does have the onions, peppers and green chillies! Plus it’s still absolutely delicious!!
In no way am I against meat, but as part of our 80/20 rule, Lynne and I try to only have red meat as a minimum once a week, sometimes less, favouring instead a diet rich in vegetables and lean meats.
In essence quite close to the Mediterranean diet, just lacking as much sun, 🙁 here in Scotland!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetarian Curry Recipes You Might Also Like
- One pot sweet potato and chickpea curry is a fantastic quick healthy budget recipe to make. Delicious and full flavoured this filling vegan curry is perfect for freezing too!
- Aubergine and sweet potato curry is a simple and deliciously healthy vegan curry. An all in one pot hearty family meal ready in just one hour!
- This healthy vegan chickpea curry is low cost, low calorie and extremely filling. Easy to make, just one portion of this low fat curry recipe provides nearly three quarters of your daily recommended dietary fibre requirement!
Healthy Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
You could use marinated meat in this recipe, absolutely, yes, but for now, this healthy paneer jalfrezi is vegetarian. 😉
I recommend serving this healthy paneer jalfrezi with my naan breads, but this dish is delicious with rice too. 🙂
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Paneer Jalfrezi
- Low calorie oil spray
- 1 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 3 fresh chopped green chillies with their seeds removed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 ripe medium sized tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ tsp flaked sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 medium onion cut into wedges
- ½ red pepper deseeded and cut into chunks
- ½ green pepper deseeded and cut into chunks
- 130 ml cold water
- 2 tbsp 0% fat yogurt
- 250 g paneer cheese cut into 3cm x 1.5cm pieces
- 1 chopped tomato cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp . freshly chopped coriander for garnishing
- Spray the bottom of a large wok / frying pan with the oil spray, about 5 times.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste, chopped green chillies and the cumin seeds and stir fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Add splashes of hot water if the mixture begins to stick.
- Add the 2 chopped tomatoes and stir fry everything together until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the garam masala, ground turmeric, Kashmiri chilli powder, sea salt and sugar and stir fry for a further 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and peppers, stir fry for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the water and yogurt, then turn down the heat under the wok allowing the vegetables to simmer together for about 5 minutes.
- Add the paneer to the vegetables and gently, so as not to break up the cheese, stir everything together for about 5 minutes.
- Finally add the 8 pieces of tomato and white wine vinegar, heat through thoroughly.
- Remove to serving dishes and garnish with the freshly chopped coriander.