Spicy rice with peas is a delicious easy to make side. Made all in one pan this 20-minute dish goes great with chicken, fish, or halloumi!
Folks, look no further than this spicy rice with peas side dish if you’ll looking to make your main meal accompaniments more interesting!
I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes I’m pretty boring when it comes to thinking up what I’m going to pair with dinner.
Normally I’ll just reach into the freezer and grab out the frozen veg.
A few minutes in the microwave and the veg is done done and that’s it.
Filling? Yes but not very inspiring or interesting. Plus, sometimes, quite bland and boring!
So here is a great side dish that uses a pepper, rice, some frozen peas and a whole selection of store cupboard spices to make a delicious and healthy side dish.
Yes I’ll admit it. In many ways it does resemble Nandos rice but of course with a few twists and tweaks to make it my own…..
Also, this is home made, so there’s no artificial ingredients and no extra sweeteners!
The result of making this spicy rice with peas recipe is a tasty mildly spiced rice side dish.
You can easily pair this with just about any main meal.
Here in my photographs I paired it with some garlic and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms but if you’ve nothing to pair it with you could even just eat this vegetarian side dish on its own.
Follow the 5 easy steps below and in just 30 minutes you’ll have this delicious side ready to serve!
How To Make Spicy Rice With Peas
- Add the oil to a medium sized saucepan. Make the stock. Sauté the onion. Then the garlic.
- Stir in the red pepper and spices.
- Stir in the rice then the stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes until rice is cooked. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the frozen peas. Cover pan and allow to sit for about 5 minutes until the peas are cooked through.
- Season to taste, garnish with coriander and serve.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Rice Recipes You Might Also Like
- Leftover rice prawn and mushroom stir fry is a delicious quick and easy recipe when you’re wondering what to do with leftover rice. A healthy leftover rice recipe that serves 2 and takes just 30 minutes!
- Tuna cashew pilau is easy to make and budget friendly too. It’s made in well under an hour, all in one pot, meaning less dishes to do!
- Turkey rice casserole is just delicious and easy comfort food at its best. A perfectly healthy and wholesome family dinner which you’ll be making again and again!
Spicy Rice with Peas Recipe
This spicy rice with peas recipe can eaily be frozen.
It can also easily be reheated on your stove or in the microwave.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Spicy Rice with Peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp medium curry powder
- 180 g basmati rice
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 150 g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- Gently heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add onion and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until softened. Add garlic and sauté for a further minute.
- Stir in the red pepper, turmeric, chilli flakes and medium curry powder. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the rice, stirring for 1 minute then add the stock, bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for about 10 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add more boiled rice if required. Turn off heat.
- Stir in the peas, cover the saucepan and allow to sit for about 5 minutes until the peas are cooked through.
- Season to taste, top with coriander and serve.