Turkey rice casserole is just delicious and easy comfort food at its best. A perfectly healthy and wholesome family dinner which you’ll be making again and again!
Folks this comforting home-made turkey rice casserole is a quick healthy meal that all the family will just love!
Delicious turkey mince flavoured with cumin, paprika and chilli.
Perfectly cooked rice, tomatoes, sweetcorn and pepper.
All cooked together and topped off with a delicious melted cheese topping!
What’s not to love?
You’ll get 6 servings from this budget turkey casserole and any leftovers are freezable too.
No matter what the weather, this ground turkey casserole is a perfect all year round family favourite.
There’s really not much effort required to make this tasty dish and it’ll be ready and on the table to serve in about an hour!
Well folks that’s us back from a successful Cumbria Way walk.
We did 6 days of walking 70 miles of glorious English Lake district scenery last week.
Each night we stayed somewhere different on route from our start point of Ulverston to our destination, Carlisle.
Some amazingly tasty food was had as were some fine ales drunk too! There will be photographs and a re-cap in the weeks to come.
Do you know what? Whilst all that was an amazing experience after a bit of time you just hanker for some good old fashioned home cooked food, dont you? So, this turkey rice casserole is the business.
How To Make This Turkey Rice Casserole
- This easy turkey rice casserole starts off by browning the turkey mince first.
- No additional oil is needed for this as the heat from the pan will dry fry the turkey mince and release those delicious turkey juices.
- We can then also use those wonderful juices to sauté the onion, garlic and green pepper in.
- The spices, sweetcorn, tinned tomatoes, stock and rice are all then stirred in.
- Brown rice is used as those grains take the same amount of time to cook as the rest of the casserole. White rice will end up all mushy.
- Pour all of those ingredients into a casserole dish. Top with grated cheese and sit back whilst it bubbles away in your oven making your house smell amazing!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Turkey Recipes You Might Also Like
- Turkey and courgette bake is the perfect weeknight dinner for when you’re short of time. Healthy and filling with a creamy sauce inside topped with delicious mashed potato, and it’s low cost too!
- Low fat summer turkey stew is an easy to prepare and healthy one pot family recipe. This one hour low carb recipe is perfect for using up turkey leftovers!
- Baked parmesan turkey escalopes are delicious and this is such a great quick healthy meal to make. A crunchy baked breadcrumb and parmesan crusted turkey breast with a simple tomato and rocket side salad in under an hour!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, I’ve a lot of photo editing and catching up to do so next Thursday it’s a nice and easy brunch / dinner option.
A new Red Pepper and Spinach Frittata recipe.
Hope you can join me then!
Turkey Rice Casserole Recipe
I suggest serving a portion of this turkey rice casserole with some vegetables on the side like peas or broccoli or maybe a green salad of lettuce, cucumber and chopped spring onions.
Either complement the meal perfectly!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 500 g lean turkey mince
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 70 g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 150 g uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 75 g grated low fat cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180c Fan
- Heat a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and brown the turkey mince for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside leaving the turkey juices in the pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and sauté in the turkey juices together until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices for 1 minute then the sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes, stock, rice and salt and pepper. Add back the browned turkey and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Lightly grease a suitably sized casserole dish and carefully spoon all the cooked ingredients into the dish. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Cook in centre of oven for about 25 - 30 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Serve.