Quick healthy chicken salad. An easy to make lower calorie salad. A perfect dinner for busy weeknights and ideal for lunchboxes too!
Folks, my aim with this healthy chicken salad recipe is to prove that it’s easy to create a quick healthy filling salad for lunch or dinner.
There is no need to overwhelm your salad with lots of unhealthy calorific mayonnaise either. Just to make it tasty and creamy.
You can make your own healthy homemade dressing with just a little lower calorie mayonnaise and fat free Greek yogurt combined.
Then what you’ve got is a delicious, cold and creamy tasting, flavour packed meal!
This healthy salad comes together with very little effort at all.
I feel that for those of us who have had extra meals to prepare over the last few months, will be very happy with this recipe.
There’s very little washing up here either. Just the knives you have used to chop the salad and the bowls you’ve used to mix those ingredients.
Plus the only cooking required for this recipe is to toast the cashew nuts. Even then that dry saucepan isn’t going to require much washing up!
For the chicken I use pre-cooked shop bought baked chicken chunks. You can normally find these in the cold meat section. Or you could use any leftover cooked chicken.
If you don’t have or don’t like cashew nuts then you could use pecan nuts instead. You could leave out the nuts altogether but I think they add a lovely flavour to the salad.
Feel free to add / substitute the salad veggies I’ve used with others you may need to use up or have to hand.
Prior to serving put in the fridge for at least 1 – 2 hours. Make sure you stir it well before transferring to plates too.
Why This Is A Healthy Chicken Salad
- A lower calorie home made dressing helps to keep the calories low in this healthy chicken salad to only 375 per serving. This is compared to shop bought chicken salad with mayonnaise which can be as high as 750 calories in some major UK supermarkets.
- You’ll get 78% of your daily recommended protein requirment from the chicken.
- It’s low in fats too. There are only 19g of fat and 4g saturated fat here.
- This chicken salad is a great way to ensure you get a good helping of vegetables towards your recommended “5 a day” serving.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Chicken Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- Chicken Caesar salad is made healthier here with wholemeal croutons and a lower calorie dressing. It’s basically the same taste as the delicious original, you just wont be counting the impact of the calories with this version!
- Chicken walnut and blue cheese salad has loads of flavour and a wonderful crunch too. It’s perfect for a quick and easy lunch or weeknight dinner option!
Quick Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe
I recommend serving your healthy chicken salad as a packed lunch or with some pitta breads for dinner.
You could also serve it as a filling for chicken sandwiches or with some wholegrain rice.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick Healthy Chicken Salad
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 70 g cashew nuts
- 500 g cooked chicken chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 100 g cucumber diced
- 50 g shredded iceberg lettuce
- 150 g 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 50 g low fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Dry fry the cashew nuts in a large frying pan until golden and lay aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked chicken with the spring onions, celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and iceberg lettuce.
- In a small Pyrex bowl combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Combine the yogurt dressing with the chicken mixture, add the cooled nuts and stir everything together to combine.
- Serve cold as packed lunches or for dinner with some pitta breads.