Tomato and chickpea soup is a delicious and simple, comforting and soul-warming recipe. A low cost, budget saving soup. A great recipe that you’ll want to make over and over again!
This tomato and chickpea soup is a perfect way to use up overripe tomatoes.
Or those ones you find reduced in your local supermarket quick sale section.
I’m pretty sure you folks will want to add this to your quick healthy meals list!
Whilst all my American friends are diving into their pumpkin recipes (which I love) my thoughts here in Scotland, turn to soup.
I’ve moaned enough about our lack of a summer this year and I’m not a huge fan of the winter weather, the cold and damp and the grey skies.
BUT I do love our heart-warming foods.
Our traditional soups and stews.
And boy am I bursting to bring you those over the coming months!
I’m starting today with this easy low calorie tomato and chickpea soup recipe.
Soups are just such a fantastic way of sticking to the 80:20 rule.
It’s because they’re so low in calories, but yet so full of the many essential nutritional elements our bodies require.
If you like this easy low calorie recipe you’re sure to love my other tomato soup recipes why not check out the list below?
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Soups Similar To This Tomato Chickpea Soup
- Tomato and Courgette Soup – a simple tasty and really easy to make soup. Nutritious and low cost you’ll want to add this to your quick healthy meals list, especially for lunch!
- Simple skinny tomato soup. Low in calories, carbs, fat and cost. This soup is so full of tomato flavour it will make you reluctant to buy any tinned soup ever again!
- Tomato and green lentil soup – a really rich and satisfying meal in itself. And because it’s so filling, you can be sure that you’ll not be tempted to reach for any unhealthy snacks after a bowl of this amazing soup!
Tomato and Chickpea Soup Recipe
Not only is this soup extremely healthy and low calorie but you’ll find the smell of it whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Tomato and Chickpea Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 8 ripe tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 tsp red chilli paste adjust to your preference
- 400 g can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and then sauté the onion and garlic for 4 – 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the chilli paste and cook for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are broken down.
- Remove the tomatoes from the heat and using either a stick blender, or a food processor blitz to thick pulp.
- Return the pulp to the pan and heat and stir in the drained chickpeas and vegetable stock.
- Cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Season to taste
- Serve garnished with fresh basil leaves.